Yew and chain vs skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 94gt331, Jul 20, 2014.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I have one of those for my mustang and ive snapped it in many places, they just dont hold up over time and they do not replace a dedicated ex. Skids tear the ground up and move too awkwardly

2. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

One made by Lackender? I doubt it. Between my friend's unit and my unit, the amount of things we've done with it certainly cannot put it in the category you suggest.

I'm not trying to convince anyone they fill all the niches that a mini-x does.

They can be bought with a pivoting boom so you don't have to turn the machine to dump. I simply use 3/4" plywood when necessary to keep the yards from getting torn up.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure of brand, but same style.

4. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Update today. Got a call from our dealer and Deere is going to fix us up pretty good. They are going to replace the broken 32mm cylinder with 2 new 36mm cylinders, all parts needed for repair, I just have to pay the labor. I thought that was a pretty cool deal from Deere especially since the machine warranty expired, I guess they had some problems and have since been making the swith to 36mm, pretty cool of Deere and our dealer.

5. swanny

Did they fix the deere yet?

I thought of this thread today since we were cutting firewood with that Lackender hoe and a thumb. Now, I've got my 30+ year share of cutting/splitting firewood, but have found this to be the best method with just a skid steer. With my son up on the bed working the saw and me feeding him logs via the hoe - we went through a boat load of wood in a hurry. Can't beat it for efficiency and ease on the backs! I still say you need to get one. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. 94gt331

Male

Got the deere back, am really happy, deere covered 2 new 36mm cyclinders and we are back in action. I will be careful when pulling shrubs with chains from now on, and to know the machine's limits. Thats a cool setup there for your firewood. I do like that hoe you got, simple and to the point, I know I was looking at a quick attach backoe like that for around $2500 which is a easy price, but still on the fence about just waiting on the mini x sometime. Just keep trying showing me pics of that thing in action and maybe I will eventually look into one:drinkup:

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You should put forks on and push forks together and drive them down in the ground on all the sides you can It will loosen the roots up Then and only then should be able pull it out

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

The fix mount hoe sucks I ran one digging a trench . I guess I don't like the part you have to move the skid to dump the hoe bucket There is a company makes one that has a swing boom

9. swanny

As in many cases there are a lot of factors/variables why one man's trash is another man's treasure. Machine weight/hp, soil type, hoe geometry, bucket width all play into the equation. My philosophy has always been to learn to do more with less. Adaptation. Especially when you find something like the Lackender used once at less than half the cost of a new one. I've got to use it tomorrow tearing out stumps and digging footings for a friend's porch project. Easy to tuck away on the trailer.

My friend has a 16" bucket on his and he has trenched thousands of feet...mostly new construction in housing developments so he doesn't worry about tearing things up. In fact, when he has had to bury large amounts of stumps he's chosen to dig the hole (big/deep enough to hide the skid) with the hoe and not the skid bucket since he says he can dig faster that way. So he says.

Lackender makes a swing boom, as well as Bobcat.

10. 94gt331

Male

I actually tried that last week on some hemlock stumps against a house foundation, it worked, but the forks were actually starting to bend alittle when I would presure them, and I know I would have broke the forks under alot of pressure. It is a good idea I think for certain shrubs and trees that don't have a thick root ball or stump. But will continue to try that method from time to time, thanks.