Yew Problem .....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Harry0, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

A property we maintain has a row of upright yews 4 ft high-1/2 mile long. 50% of the hedge row has turned a tint of red while the other half is fine. Last spring due to excessive rain and drainage problems the damaged sections were under water and I believe this is the damage this spring. I would appreciate any input. Do you think they are history, or is there something i can do? Thanks Harry

2. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My experiance with Yews is that they like well drained soil. What did they look like during the summer? Maybe you could post a picture and get some more input from others. They may be history.

3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Last summer they were thinning very slightly so i fertilized with 10-10-10. Thanks for your input-Harry

4. PJAKJF

PJAKJF LawnSite Member
    from MA

are they near the road?

5. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

They are about 30 ft. off the Highway. Were you thinking of salt damage?-Harry

6. P&C Lawn Care

Wouldn't salt damage get both rows? I would think more drainage, yews don't like wet feet.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

is it on the South-southwest side of the plants only? or is the entire plant? if its just the southwest side its winter burn, and will heal up in the spring normally.

8. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

The entire plant on the damaged shrubs is reddish tint. The shrubs next to it are perfectly green. I would guess it was wet feet. Though the drainage problem is fixed, do you think I can be seeing the damage from 8-10 months ago?-Harry

9. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yews hate wet feet, I think that is definately the problem especially if the areas that were under water are the ones showing the problem. The damage has been done, Pray!

10. P&C Lawn Care

Trees and shrubs are slow to show damage. I bet it is due to the flooding.