Yo, Attention New & Old Forum Members! A little OffTopic!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassMaster, Mar 30, 2000.

1. Hello Everybody:<p>I'm sticking my neck out a little bit but here goes.<p>1.<br>Is it me or is there a lot of repeated questions here? How many people go way over there to the upper right to where it says Show Discussions then click<br>All then click GO?<p>Probably 75% of the questions have been asked already. Sometimes it's hard to tell by the Subject & the Description, what the question is?<p>Facts, I know this has nothing to do with the price of eggs in China, but if you go to a Microsoft Newsgroup like FP2K & ask a question that has already been asked in the last 30 days you will get flamed & they probably won't answer your question. If the subject is not clear they won't answer either. They have over 10,000 post a month, a very busy what I call a forum!<p>Lets give Chucks Forum the same respect!<p>He has really done a lot for all of us & I noticed he's doing more & more for us all the time.<br> <br>Has he ever asked for anything? No not an onion?<p>2.<br>There is a lot of people crying & whinning about not being able to get paid what they want.<p>Well I put my life savings into my business, me & my wife together didn't make as much as one of Lazers employees, I never made a lawn look as nice as Erics & yes I will never be as nice of a guy as Homer & Charles I think?<p>But you want more money & you get tired of those low ballers that don't know the difference between Profit & ever being able to say I've been full time in the business over 5 years & next year I will pay my self $2000 a week, take a 2 week vacation in Amsterdam which would be very cool & take your brand spanking new 6 ft blonde wife half your age with you, of course your over 36 I hope?<p>Facts, Find those lowballers & Profit robbing fools. Then walk up to them introduce yourself hey I thought I would introduce myself & say how would you like to make a lot more money in less time? <p>How would you like to get rid of that ragamuffin truck & equipment in less than 1 year. Yes I don't care what he says just take one of your business cards & on the back of it write www.lawnsite.com, then hand it to them. <p>With a big old smile on your face say are you on the net, if they aren't then say hey I get some calls every once in a while & I got more jobs than I can handle right now, would you like more work. He says yes, Ok I will send you some. BTW if you ever get any big jobs or if find some you can't get to Please give me a call?<p>Another fact. You have made a friend in the business, you will get them to start thinking, they will probably send you work that they can't handle, you now have a place to dump your jobs that you know you will never make a dime on. Maybe he will come to this forum & figure out he needs to charge more!<p>I did it but I couldn't write www.lawnsite.com on the back of my card because I was a Grandaddy cutter then. But I made friends with most of my competition & it wound up, we all helped each other. Hey I learned a lot from them.<p>If we educate the competition, all it can do is drive the prices up. If we know the competition no matter how they act it will only help us.<p>Help the other guy & he will help you, I promise. Another thing, what goes around comes around. That's just in case he doesn't help you.LOL<p>Tell every body about this forum, it will pay off big in the long run, again I promise!<p>Thanks a Million Chuck!<p>I wish everybody the best of everything.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/<p>

2. sue

sue LawnSite Member

Hello GrassMaster, <br> i have been writing on the back of our flyers or business cards this site. several people said they have been here and really like it. i have also put little flyers in business's around town about this forum. <br>i would like to help in anyway i can. this is the best forum.<br>keep up the great work. have a great day!

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

A great point, but a complex problem.<p>It would be nice to somehow set up a way to search the past discussions easier. Maybe by setting up more categories, like the new used equip one, would help. IE, have a &quot;New equipment buyers room&quot;, have a &quot;installing new lawns rooms&quot;, or maybe like a &quot;exmark&quot;,&quot;Toro&quot;, &quot;Dixie chopper&quot;, etc, etc. That way everything wouldn't be so lumped together. Just look at the numbers. The lawn care site has like 6000 posts while the others are now where near it. I think it would be a great help. You could search through each of them much easier then.<p>Now, maybe we just don't have enough people here to support this yet. Which supports the idea of getting the word out. The more poeple here, the more that can be done, and the more help we can give each other. <p>This room is great, so we need to keep it running as smooth as possible, because I, along with everyone else I'm sure, would hate to see it go. <p>steveair

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Mr. Administrator. Could you set up a search engine in the archives? I don't know how much trouble or cost that would be. Example: Put in the word fertalizer and all the post with the word fertalizer come up. Put in the word planting and all the post with the word planting come up. Just an idea don't know if it would be feasable or not.

5. Hello Charles:<p>When I go to top of page, below the banner & click on search, then put in the keyword fertilizer & set it for most active discussions, it pulls up 14 seperate finds.<p>Is this what you are talking about?<p>As far as I can tell the search feature works fine!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I too have thought about it being nice to have a separate forum for each of the major brands of mowers. There are different ones for the major truck brands and I think it could be benificial to have some for mowers too. I have a Chat Room for Dixie Chopper owners and from what the 55 members are saying, it has been very helpful to them. Some don't own them, but are wanting to learn more about them and some are planing to purchase them in the future. I feel a forum could be the same way. Just another idea.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Oh okay Grassmaster, I never tried it myself. Since I know everything there is to know anyway:). Thanks for the compliment about being me being nice though. Don't know if it was deserved or not. I think Homer is nicer than me.

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The idea of many topic specific forums is appealing, but would there be as much activity overall if everyone had to check a couple dozen different forums covering his main interests? To get more specific would diminish the flavor of this single main forum. There has been a pesticide forum for over a month, but there is still some general discussion of pesticides here.<p>More simple solution would be to include key words in subject and description fields when one is starting a new discussion. For example this thread could have included the words lowball, professional, compete, to cover the second topic. Then anyone could search for these at a later date. This is a great posting that shouldn't be lost in the future. (Maybe Chuck could even have a &quot;hall of fame&quot; board, that couldn't be commented on, for valuable input like this.) Keep it comin', GrassMaster.<p>Search only finds your request in the subject and description fields. Also remember in searching that you should not be too specific. If you are searching for info on chemicals:<br>-searching chemicals returns 1 topic with 2 messages<br>-searching chemical returns 3 discussions with 28 messages<br>-searching just chem returns 7 discussions with 72 messages.<br>If you use GrassMasters example above, and use fertili as search term (covers fertilizing, fertilization, fertilizer, fertilizers, fertility), you get 25 hits, instead of 14. If you search on fert, you get 32 hits.<p>Maybe what we need is some type of introduction for new members, to let them know of the volume of recorded info and how to find it.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>

9. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

I have been registered for less then a week and the forum has already gotten about 30 more users!! Thats great...Im sure they like it as much as I do! As for a forum topic.... what about tree care??? Is anyone into tree care in the rest of the u.s.?? Around here 3/4 of the company names have the word tree in them... and its always before landscaping. Well thanks everyone for making this site so great!

10. crabber

crabber LawnSite Member

Grassmasters sales must be slow this season.<br>Too much spare time. Try decaf and a sunrise on the Chester River. There is a God!