Yo Pj...............

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by FCS Services, Jun 17, 2008.

1. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

What the heck!!!!!! Today my 25/52 super Z exploded (figuratively speaking). It ran well with no problems up until I got to the job site today. Was on the trailer and was trying to start it. It took a unusual long time to start. Once started it ran really rough and displayed tons of white smoke. It ran for about 10-15 seconds and died. did this several times. Oil was leaking from the muffler. I went to the hustler dealer and he thought that I had broken rings or scored the piston walls??? what’s the deal - I bought the mower on 070205, it has 451 hours on it. the dealer says that the engine should have lasted 2500 hours or so.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Wait and see what the dealer finds wrong before we assume the engine is hurt.
    It ran fine before this happened? the lawn before it ran fine? then it was trailered and started hard and ran bad once you got to the next lawn?
    It could be other things, lets find out what the dealer finds first.
    It could have gas in the oil, this would do exactly as you describe here.
    Let me know what the dealer finds.

Pj

3. FCS Services

Your right PJ - There was gas in the oil?? My dealer offered that suggestion. The dealer I took it to when the problem occurred (not my usual dealer) I think was trying to make a buck?? He didn’t really look at it and was quick to diagnose. And yes, the engine was running fine before this happened..

I changed the oil and filter and all seems normal

How does gas get into the oil??? -carb problems???

Thanks
    Frank

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It happens when the carburetor float needle gets stuck open when the mower is off, a couple things can cause this, debris in the needle and seat or a very harsh jolt that makes the float get stuck open.
    Keep a eye on it, you can turn off the fuel between stops when trailering if it persists or look at getting the carb rebuilt / replaced.

Pj

5. FCS Services

Sounds like your right on the money here PJ.......

Before this incident the mower did "stumble" as I was trailering it. Since for about 1 year after I got the mower the mower has "stumbled" and/or died when I hit a bump when mowing and then is really hard to start. I will keep an eye on it..

Wahts MSRP on a new carb??? Code FH721VCS16R/Serial # E/NOFH721VB38352

Thanks for your expert advice

Frank

6. FCS Services

thanks PJ....................

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will have to check with your Hustler / Kawasaki dealer for parts pricing, I dont have Kawasaki information.

Pj