1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

york rake or Box Scrapers?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bridges, Aug 23, 2003.

1. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

Ok I'm making my yard bigger. I cleared the woods and having an excavtor coming monday, to remove stumps and big rocks. And I will be spreading the loam. The rest of my lawn is grab grass.

My question is, When I spread the loam do I use my york rake or do I rent a box scraper.

Some one was telling me the box scraper does a better job. What does the box scraper really do? That the york rake doesn't
  2. cuttingchris

cuttingchris LawnSite Member

a box scraper will make it level its not attached by anything hard to your tractor so it stays level the york rake will not make the ground level cause it is attached to the tractor so when the tractor goes up so does the rack leaveing high spots high and low spots low
  3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Box scrapers and york rakes are attached exactly the same way. A box scraper is good for grading and spreading material. A york rake will spread topsoil, but it works better for raking rocks and debris than it does for spreading material. For all the info on tractor attachments you could possibly want, check out tractorbynet.com.
  4. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Well not sure about the other two posts but, a box blade is for taking out material from high areas or compacted ground. A rake will grab large debris and spread material. Your best bet is to get a power rake (i.e. harley). If it is availible. But to answer your question you would use a rake to spread material, not a box blade.
  5. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

Thanks for the replys!

So what I do is use the york rake to spread the loam and see if I can rent a power rake to finish it up?

How about when I'm ready to seed? How do guys handle big areas? Just hand rake the seed in?