Yoshino Cherry Problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Cutters Lawn Care, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Back at the beginning of April my neighbor asked me to get him a Yoshino Cherry and Weeping Cherry. He planted them himself and everything has been fine so far. He call me over tonight and says his Weeping Cherry is dying. I go over and take a look. The leaves are turning yellow and falling off. The tree has no mulch ring. It has grass growing right up to the trunk. I didn't see any signs of insect damage. I asked him if he's fertilized his lawn recently. He said about 3 weeks ago he put out 25lbs of Scotts Turfbuilder with weed control. I calculated he should of only put out 12 lbs of fert. He used a broadcast spreader and made several passes at the tree. We've also had lots of rain the last 2 weeks. Is all the fert what is causing his tree to die? Thanks

2. Cutters Lawn Care

It's his Yoshino dying not the Weeping Cherry. Sorry

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hard to tell....but it would more likely be the "weed" as opposed to the feed, especially if he applied twice the recommended amount.

4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Got a picture? Neal

5. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

Sounds probable, although we don't know how well it was planted, either.

6. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

Is he just asking for your help or is he saying you are responsible? I don't know any landscapers that warrantee trees planted by the customer. The fert mite be causing the damage but what about the water and soil?Is the tree being inundated with rain water? I seem to remember yoshinos prefer well drained soil.

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i would bet he planted it to deep!

the rain will speed up dying through soffication!

dig all the dirt off of the top of the rootball and let it breath!

8. Cutters Lawn Care

He's just asking for my help. It has proper drainage. Yesterday he was removing the grass around the trunk to make a mulch ring. I'll just keep and eye on the situation and see what happens.