you are a commodity guys, don't 4 get that

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 13, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

don't ever sell yourself short, don't ever have the attitude that "i am only a lawnboy, and i can be replaced." a knowledgeable reliable lawn man, is definitely a commodity. i no longer advertise, but am signing new clients at the rate of 2-3 per week. the same ole same ole-" my guy never showed up. my guy does a bad job. my guy can't kill my weeds, etc." i'm pickin and choosing, and naming my price + terms. don't ever sell yourself short, you are definitely a commodity. that's my useful post for the day.......time to spin the blades.....

2. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

go get'em big guy:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

3. ExmarkMower1971

ExmarkMower1971 LawnSite Member
    from 72401

I operate a smaller lawn service and untill my friend got it through my head that you set your prices...its your business..if they do not like it and replace you the lawn was not worth having any ways...move on..I took his advice and sent out letters to let them know I was in charge and to let them know I will not be hooking up anymore for one or so yards.. I am now on a weekly route,and know what I will make before hand.they had me running like a chicken with his head cutt off....(my equipment)If it goes down its my cost and not theres...I was so concerned that i would lose my lawns..but thus far he has been right,I live in a large city and there are about 150 lawn services here.. I have been ready to do this for some time but was affraid to because of all the compitetion here.. Thanks Tim.....

M.S. Lawncare
    Jonesboro,Ar :usflag:

Treat everyone the way you want to be treated....

4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Finally, a truly motivating post by BG.

5. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

Bobby, I noticed your post made it to turf mag this month, way to go!

6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I get what you're trying to say BG, however I'd like to think of myself as something more than a commodity (perhaps rare commodity such as Gold, maybe) as defined here:

A physical good that is bought and sold based solely on its price, rather than quality and features. Examples include coffee, cocoa, grain, cotton, metals, and oil.

Good post, tho....and true..many jobs are won by forfeit simply b/c the other guy did not show up or deliver the goods as promised.

7. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Maybe you are a luxury now,people buy a Ferrari because they want it ,not
    because it is cheap.If you sell yourself as a luxury people won't be PITAs
    anymore.