1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You arrive at customer lawn, and now its a construction site!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

They are expanding the road, and out of nowhere, construction equipment is on the lawn. They are doing construction on the lawn as well as part of the road work. The customer is gonna be on vacation for a month and I have no way of contacting them. The mess takes up close to half the lawn, including the torn up land, etc. What would you do in this situation? Mow what you can and charge full price? Not mow at all? The place has turned filthy with dirt, trash, dust flying everywhere... and a sweeper that sweeps the dirt off of the road and directly onto the lawn.
  2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Id not even mow. with all that dirt, theres no sense in mowing cause its gonna pick that dirt up, sling it everywhere, and dull the mower blades, plus you've gotta blow the driveway off when you're done, which kicks up MORE dust yet, and makes a huge mess normally.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Take pictures and cut what you can. talk to the owner when they get back.

4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Your not responsible for the road work and associated mess, it has nothing to do with you. You are however, responsible for mowing the yard, regardless of how much of it is left.

The situation will be much worse, and you will look like a smuck, if they come back to a torn up yard and the rest is looking like an overgrown hay field.

Simply do the best you can with what you have to work with.
    I'd maybe knock $5 or $10 off of each mow just to ease their pain upon return - In these situations you always want to look like the good guy.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a contract? if so you have an obligation to mow.if not you prob. need to mow anyway to keep what can be mowed from becoming a jungle.and yes full price,unless you told them that it would be cheaper incase of construction :p
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

no contract :dizzy:
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Personally, I'd mow it. Afterall, this is why (I presume) they hired you in the first place. Yes, it will be a pain in the buttocks...but you win some and you lose some.
  8. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I agree with this post 100%. This same situation is actually going on my own property because they are connecting my development to the city's sewage system. A decent portion of my front lawn is ripped up with a lot dirt and dust which is magnified by how dry it has been. That being said I still do the job at my house, just do the best you can and I agree that taking off a few bucks will please the customers. It is how you handle situations like this that determine how your customers will speak of your company.
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have had this happen 2 times this year. One place was so bad I couldn't mow at all for a month. When I did mow it I had to do it twice, but I did not charge extra. The other one had a sewage pipe problem and half her front yard was ripped up. This one I knocked 5 bucks off because it was less work. In these situations I say just do the best you can, and if you can't mow, then you can't mow.
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow what you can .. dont get too crazy. I would take off a few bucks to keep them happy.You will probably make up for it when you have to fix the grass once the construction is completed anyways. :)