1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

you asked me to water, but you never told me how long

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ant, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

as most of you know it's been dry here in the northeast.

i send a notice to all lawn clients with irrigation systems that they need to start watering.

few called me back and asked how long should i water? well i been telling them that 40 min. per zone on full sun areas for a start and we can go from here....

well you and i know that it depends on soil type,type of grass,shade-full sun,etc..etc...
    but to explain this to a client is almost a waste..i know some will understand but most it is a waste of time. most clients don't even know how to set there timer.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

whats your rule of thumb on watering?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm interested in seeing the difference in answers between irrigation professionals like myself in our forum, versus the grass cutters.

If its anything like my area, this should be fun.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I tell them 1 - 2 hours between the hours of 5 and 10 am 2X a week if possible.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

For starters I don't let my clients operate their irrigation controllers any more than I would let them use my reel mower.

With that said what kind of sprinklers? Sprays or rotors? What kind of turf? I would probably make up a simple info sheet and try and educate them on what we are trying to accomplish rather than telling them what to program.

Explain to them how long it takes to put down an inch of water with the different sprinkler types. Explain to them about slopes and run off. Let them know about micro climates and what hot spots look like.

Then if you must, give them a jumping off point to set the system and go from there. You know the whole teach a man to fish thing.

Keep it simple and short and add pictures if possible.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Tell them to water tell the water stops absorbing into the turf.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Till you're left with standing water??? Then what are the mowing guys posed to do She when they show up???:confused:
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

watering is like eyeglasses, there is a different perscription for everyone pending THIER own situation. as a blanket rule however, i'll go with rod on this one. 1.5 hrs 2-3 times per week
  8. dccarling

dccarling LawnSite Member

Watering should be done by inches of water not time
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, precipitation rate varies greatly depending on how the water is being delivered.