1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You be the Judge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcthorne, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I had a meeting with the facility manager of a small nursing home that is under contract until March 2008. We were meeting because she wanted some ideas for a water feature inside a courtyard for the residents. After discussion she decided on an install and was going to submit it for approval to corporate.

Here's where the conversation got a little wierd. She's a fairly new manager and we really don't have a strong relationship as of yet.

She proceeds to tell me that she is setting her budget for 2008 and would like a bid proposal for the 2008 2009 maintenance agreement. I first think no big deal......this is normal practice. We discuss her current pricing and it's in the 15k to 20k range yearly and I tell her next years will be basically the same but there will be a 3% cost of living increase.

She then tells me that I should raise her prices a couple of hundred dollars a month because she's happy with the way things are looking. I'm kinda shocked by this because by no means do I lowball and I consider my pricing to be on the higher end and definately higher than companies such as Tru-Green and Valleycrest.

Either she's genuine here or she's got a prior relationship with another LCO and is setting the stage for her to have a good reason to switch companies when the time comes.

I do know for a fact her boss from corporate is very pleased with the job my guys are doing and has commented on how much the property has improved in such a short time.

You be the judge........what do you think is going on here.
  2. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

So let me get this right. You are the lawn care contractor now, or is it some one else?
  3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

submit the bid as she wishes. People want to help people. Thats human nature.

BTW, I work Shelby County too. If you are uncertain of what to do, give her my phone number, and I'll contact her...

We do a lot of commercial properties in Memphis.

4. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I think that she may be using you to get your prices up so she can get a friend in, if you know what I mean. You did say that she is new manager right.
    Some times when the boss is happy with you, a few dollars won't matter to him. If you are happy with your bid, than I would stay away from the trap.
    The same thing happened to me last year, I had a lady who was in charge of 13 video stores have me bid on them and told me it looked good but ask me to break down fir each store, and I thought that was understandable so maybe she could bill each one. But I never heard back from her, so I sent her an email, and I got the dear John letter. But to make a long story short, her husband got the bids. I smell a rat............
  5. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be wondering what to do myself. I think I would be leery of her suggestion to add a couple hundred a month on the bill.

It sounds like you have had a good account with this nursing home and I believe I would only raise my next season bid by the 3% you have in mind.

It's up to you what you tell the new manager why you only want to increase the bid by 3% rather than pad the bill. This suggestion on her part from my point of view is --- she doesn't have the best interest of her company in mind or she is gonna do you in.

Look at the last 3 or 4 answers almost written and sent up at the same time.