You broke my new window!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Was mowing along yesterday and customer comes out and points to her window and says i threw a rock and broke it.

I honestly don't think that i did it though.

One - her husband has mowed up until yesterday, so he could have done it.

Two - my chute was down, and any of you that run a new Scag Cub will testify that they really don't throw the grass out very well.

Three - i was throwing away from the house and when i was throwing grass in the direction of the home I was a good 25 feet away.

Four - the freakin' break in the window - which was the size of a pebble - was six feet off the ground.

When she accused me, she asked if i had insurance and i told her no. Then she said that he home owners would take care of it.

I kinda challanged her on it, because i really don't think it is possible that I could have done it with the window being that high off the ground with my chute down.

She said not to worry and that the home owners would take care of it. I said to send me the bill, but I don't think that I did it.

Her neighbor came over to ask me something after it happened and I showed it to him. He agreed that it wasn't possible for me to have done it.

Of course, she left before paying me. First time ever for that.

The neighbor told me that the couple has been hiring mentally challanged boys to mow and mulch.

So it is possible that they could have done it.

What would you do? Offer to take care of it again! Go back and mow as normal! Not go back (lol)!

Thanks for your thoughts!

P.S. - if I saw that I did it, I would have stopped, knocked on her door and wrote her a check on the spot.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Something the size of a peeble you may never know you hit. It doesn't matter how far the mower throws grass, it can throw a rock a very long distance. Rocks and objects can come out in weird directions and going up is not unheard of.

Did you do it? Maybe, maybe not. Could you have? Absolutely. Looking at it with what you think couldn't happen is completely wrong. It can do those types of weird things.

P.S. Get some general liability insurance immediately.
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

highly doubtful you did it.also if your machine tossed the rock,you'd probably would have blown the window out.either way one personal request from me..GET YOUR INSURANCE
  4. Titans Fan

Getting insurance today.

Been meaning too, just slipped my mind.

Nothing like this to get my mind back on it!
  5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

you should definitely have insurance. now it will be all around the neighborhood that you don't have it.

i wouldn't be surprised at all if you did in fact break it. unless you saw that the window was not broken before you started, you have to assume you did.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Just the opposite for me. My mind would be on nothing but getting the insurance. I don't sleep well if the bases are not covered.
  7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

very first thing you should do is get all your legal papers in order before you ever cut your first lawn,what if that rock hit someone in the head?
  8. Titans Fan

I know that it is possible that I did. But I kinda felt like I was set-up!

Plus, when her husband called for me to mow, he said stuff like........ "Don't throw grass in my landscaping" .......... "Watch the sides of my house, the guy I used last year scrapped my house with his tires"

Makes me think that they have had bad people!
  9. amw

amw LawnSite Senior Member

im not sure how you could have thrown the rock...
    ive had mowers sitting on pegravel and they dont even move with the blades on, personaly i would guess that you didnt ...but like everyone has said... that was someones head ... and it was you who tossed the rock up at them .....without probly would get sued for basicly everthing you own.. ..and after you hit them its too late to get insurance, so best advice. Get insurance, even if you think you dont need it...because when you do need it it will be to late!

(i did 1 time see a guy run over a tall beer can and a big chunk of the can flew out and stuck into a tree atleast 1/2 inch ..... if that would have been a person instead of a tree.... that woulda hurt!)
  10. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Was it a giant picture window or something? Why would someone make a claim on their homeowner's insurance to fix a broken window, is it that expensive these days? I broke all kinds of windows when I was a kid (not with a mower). My dad just yelled at me and then bought a new pane of glass from the hardware store and fixed them himself. Point is, why risk having your premiums go up just to fix one window?