You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Brianslawn, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

recently started this lil job. 25 acres of commercial development over the next year to landscape.
  2. Brianslawn

thats our next building down the street to the right. the land up to the horizon is only half of it. much more on other side of hill. they also have 8 existing properties there already. we get mow/maintenance contracts on everything. it was found out that last guy wasnt licensed, refused to get licensed, and then disappeared. i got it at a bit higher price than last guy. they searched state website to see who all in area was actually licensed. my name was at the top of a list of 5 in the county and only one other landscape company on that list offers mowing, too. payup payup payup :waving:
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a nice lay out to landscape, will you be doing all of the sod also? How many men do you have that will be working on the job?
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Brian, did you get the design end of it as well, or are you following a LA's /Designers plans for each area? That will be a nice contract for maintenance, for sure. We are working with a builder here who has started the first phase of a 1200 unit development. We are getting out of the design/install side of the business , and doing a lot more hydroseeding and maint. Looks like a nice property...congratspayup
  5. Brianslawn

half the dirt. excavators got some big boy toys for the large areas, but next to buildings and final grade is me. sod, trees, plants, and mulch is all us, too. city has some stupid rules on plant and tree selection and quantity on commercial, so we got handed a blueprint from some idiot thats never seen the place. so far just the three of us, but are looking for more help till our h2bs arive in spring. might have to hire someone extra the day we lay 60 pallets of bermuda. this one once we get done with dirt and am ready to plant and do sod, mow crew leaders gets his big break and chance to take over as foreman. his cut will be $2k for the 2 weeks. i'll probably be down the street on kubota by then. we're in talks with local designer and nursery owner for some exclusive rights on all his installs and we'll buy exclusively from him. he has a guy now, but guess what, not licensed by the state either. im looking for more people for landscaping either on the crew or as foreman for future jobs. foremen will average $1000+ a week.
  6. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Post some more pics of this jobsite and your equipment .. looks like your gona have your hands full
  7. Brianslawn

'my lil pickup' in picture forum for some. ill get pictures of other trucks and walkers, and kubota this weekend. as you can see we been working till dark or later. we also got quite a few smaller jobs in progress, or scheduled, and one more day of leaf cleanups, too. also just submitted 3 bids for residential, this size. 2 of the 3 people are current customers. the third wants us to do his leaves one time monday, since his lco (the firm of amigo, amigo, and amigo) disappeared a month ago. i need another foreman!

i'll take more pics of this and other large landscape jobs and post here. our specialty is mowing. we got experience in construction, fences, computers, and other areas as well. the summer (and a couple hundred yards a week) is fixing to become our slow season. we built 3 bridges, cut down some trees, dug out creek bed, and some other stuff for a guy in fay last winter. each winter (and year) keeps getting busier. been turning down work or bidding sky high for 2 years now from lack of help. thankfully, noel is sending me 10 h2bs in the spring. i'll give them the big bucks if no one locally wants them. :waving:
  8. bigandy

bigandy LawnSite Member

If you still need a foreman im looking for a good job. Ive been running a small landscape crew for several years and recently got a degree with emphasis in business management from the University of Missouri. It sounds like you need some good help, and I have considered relocating to Arkansas anyway.
  9. Brianslawn

email me at brianslawn at yahoo dot com :waving:
  10. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Why are required to be licensed from the state in Arkansas? You're not doing fert applications, just landscaping. Do they require a contractor's license or what? Please let me know what kind of licensing they are asking for.

In Kansas the only thing we carry for licensing is fertilizer/pest license. Other than our liability insurance.