You can't cut wet grass!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerMoney, Jul 13, 2006.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

One of my senior lady customers comes outside as I was starting on her lawn yesterday. It had been raining most of the day so the lawn was very wet. She says to me that "the next time that it is raining on her cut day, that I should skip her until the next week". She says that she's an ol' farm girl and she knows that you can't cut wet grass.
    Told her that her lawn would be 12" high then and I'd have to charge her double. She thought I was kidding.

Imagine if we never cut wet grass. Wait till noon for the dews to dry off everyday. We can live off 8 - 10 cuts a week, right?
    Told her about having sharp blades, high-lift blades, good mowers, and so on. I think I finally convinced her that I could do a good cut when it's wet. Looked pretty darn good to me when I was done.

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same arguement with one of my customers today, I was already half way done when she came out. She still told me to come back and I said ok but it is going to be next week cause I am busy till then and its going to cost you double. She said we will have to see, even know there is nothing to see. Either I get double or she gets the boot.

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

it rained here last night and a little in the morning and i waited until about 10 to send the guys out but they cut until about 9 tonight

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That's the key phrase here. You convinced her to go ahead after being "an ol' farm girl". You, my friend, are a fine salesman.:)

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah old ladys are hard to deal with but when they grew up on a farm which most did or jsut grew up in the country they think that they know more than us

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I cut a couple lawns after it rained all day and they came out better than dry. Keep in mind that I was using a cheap snapper push with a lift blade.

7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

My guess is that her old farm equipment had exactly enough HP to cut in ideal conditions not overpowered for any conditions like machines are today.
    Things change.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This is funny. I have given that same speech to the old geezers. New more powerful mowers that are made to cut wet grass etc etc. Many of them walk back in saying "Well I better not have to rake it!":laugh:

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I wonder how gators would cut when wet?

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

They cut bad when dry. God forbid cutting in the wet with them.