you can't do it alone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 22, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i am now convinced, very convinced, you cannot do it alone if you want to make any real money. with all the calls i'm now getting(mostly referels) how on earth can i do the estimates, do the extras(mulch, trimming, etc) AND keep up with the lawns? you can't . so, you limit yourself, and turn the work away? i think not.just one or two good helpers can make you a fortune. one thing you pr!cks were right about, do nice work, be reliable, and you will have so much work you can't keep up. well, that's where i'm at right now. i searched high, and i searched low, but i finally found the perfect helper. i pay him very well, treat him with respect, and he gives me 110% every day. you can't do it alone !

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for those words of wisdom, bobby.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Your a joke Bobby.

You think your way is THE way. I am doing fine on my own. I believe TIEDMAN is doing quite alright as well. It may work for you but not everyone.

4. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

If I can hire someone to do the work for $9/hr, tell me again why I would want to do it.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

what is fine? your idea of "fine", is probably my idea of poverty(no insult intended). we all have our own idea of what real money is. there is no way to accomplish any type of volume(which is neccesary in a penny business), if you are alone, especially considering it's weather realated. what would you do if you got 5 calls this week for mulch jobs tottaling 30 yds, and you still had to keep up with your lawns, you would tell the mulch people, "i'm sorry, i'm booked?" being solo, you are leaving way too much money on the table, i'm sorry

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Solo is O.K. for some. Not me.
    Finding good help is a pain in the arse though!

7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why i service lawns wed-friday. Sat. is the make up day. I am not on the same scale as you, and actaully am going to hire someone soon, its just the way you said it made it sound like everyone else who isnt two or more people is a nobody. (Maybe just the way i percieved it)

Not starting any !@#$.

Trevor

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

As far as making bundles of money working alone, you're absolutely right. It can't be done by yourself in this business. But a solo operator can make a respectable middle class living if he has his costs under control and is competitive with his pricing.
    Right now I'm turning down new accounts because I can't handle anymore work alone, but I don't want to get into the trap of having to hire an employee and all the baggage that comes with it. I'll just work on bringing in more upscale accounts and reducing the lower priced accounts.
    But you are right Bobby...if you want to go big time in this business you need a mule or two to do the heavy stuff. Hedge trimming, mulch installs, landscape enhancements all require a good deal of time consuming, heavy work and a solo operator can't do it on a large scale and make a lot of money.

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I learned years ago that I could never make the kind of money I desire by working solo. Went to 1 employee...then 2....now I need a third very badly. I have so much work coming in I cant even handle it all.....I have a hard time turning down a new full service high end residential account or landscape install. I am in fact turning down anything that isnt in the same neighborhood as other accounts and small one time jobs. Around here you cant live off of $40,000 a year......So its either have employees to make you more or live a very simple life wich is not me.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

not big time, but i only know what i see. i been full time for only two months, and my lawns(42 now) can be cut in 2 -9 hr days, plus me goin out alone half a day on saturday. in the past week, i did about 20 yds of mulch, 4 yds topsoil, trimming, 3 cleanups, 17 lawns,4 applications, it's only thursday, AND was able to respond to, and sell, about $3000 worth of more work. WHY? cus i still had my man producing while i was estimating. i charge roughly $45-$60 an hour for him alone if i'm not there. how can you go wrong? don't get me wrong, i was a non believer, i am a workhorse, i trained hard for what was in store, i'm in shape and can go dawn till dusk. BUT, i am only one man, and am very aware of my mortality. keep pushin it solo, you'll end up crippled and broke.