"you can't quit! we have a contract"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 17, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i sent out a cancelation notice. the client(now ex client) called and said, "i got your letter, but you can't quit, we have a contract. you must honor our contract, i expect to see you friday." the first sentence of the contract states, "either party has the right to cancel service, for any reason. cancelation must be in writing." why would they even want me there, when i don't care to be there? unreal.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Because they're Stupid and can't read?? Maybe? Or they just want to give you a hard time.....

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

maybe he just thinks you're handsome.

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Helllloooo. Just what good is a contract that either party can cancel at anytime? It's a waste of time and paper. If you think otherwise your head is ---well, it goes without saying. NONE of my accounts have contracts. They stay with me year after year. But maybe, just maybe I should "put them on a contract" that either party could break, What a joke.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd have to agree..............

Tell me again why you think you have a contract?
    Or for that matter why do they think they have a contract?

What's the point?

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess to enforce payment and terms it seems......

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How?

8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

You just don't get it. They cancel by notifying you in writing. after that time the contract is void. Just what terms are you going to enforce. weekly mows? fert apps? Get real.

9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

My contract lets both parties out also, but legally I need contracts as required by dec and county laws.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the contract is there to explain what gets done and for how much. it also says they will pay the bill. try collecting in court without one. i had one police dept tell me no contract, no day in court, period.