You Charged Me Way To Much!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by anthony reyes, Jun 2, 2004.

1. anthony reyes

anthony reyes LawnSite Member

I have recently put out my first set of flyers. I had a guy call me and ask me how much i charge. I told him i would come out to his property and give him a free estimate. Is it smart to give your client an estimate over the phone? He said hed just wanted his lawn mowed 3/4 acre had not been done in 3months. when i got to his property i told him it would be around $25 hour (his wife insisted i come up with an estimate before mowing)I invoiced them
    $85 for 3 hours. They fliped out but the invoice had already been made. Is it wise to bill them this way or should i just tell them what they owe me after the work is done. Is it wise to talk price over the phone? I don't want to lose these people but d@mn i busted my @ss. (i have to admit i felt bad when i left) somebody throw a bone my way please!!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

don't tell them per hour. Just tell them the price for mowing each time. Never give a price over the phone. You will only hurt yourself and the chance of getting customers

3. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

I give them a price upfront...which is how I would want it. How would you feel if you took your car in for service and they said" We will give you the price when we're finished"

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I give my prospective customers a range over the phone and then if there still interested I go out and look the property over and then give them a final price.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I always go out to the customers house and then come back and write up a formal estimate of exactly how much it will cost. I then either take it back over to them and talk it over or send it in the mail. I also give them a brochure explaining all of our services we offer in detail. Most of the customers I talk to when I give the estimate I will never talk to again (90% of my customers I don't know by name) so I like to get a feel of how they are before I start working for them.