You could do this instead!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Elite Lawn Care, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

How many of us have had somebody say to us, "if you don't go to school and get a college eduction, you wind up diging ditches all your life!" well tell them not only do you dig them, you fill them back in!

My point is this, I started cutting my neighbors lawns as a kid, my first job at $7 dollars a cut in 86. Spent years in the military and got a college education, and now I am back to cutting grass 6 months out of the year. One of the websites I visit has job listings. mostly for guys with big heads. years of college. It was interesting to think that after all the time they spent in school, paying back loans and needing to find work, they still only make what a small LCO makes.

check it out.

each his own in some ways, it all depends upon what you are willing to do.
  2. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

The only good thing about college for me was the people I met. They have been great connections for my business and good paying customers. I was making more money mowing yards and landscaping during college than I made on my first desk job out of college $17,000 plus benefits. I know people will say the benefits is what makes the desk job good. But I put together my own benefit package for my company(Health,life, ret. plan), and I get the great tax deductions. Self employed is the only way to go. No egg heads with MBA's telling you their spin on life and business.

Anybody that tells you that life is fair and easy is trying to sell you something.
  3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Great thread!! All true too! I love what I do as an LCO.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

most successful people here have a degree, or two..... it really does open doors, nothing wrong with a business background in any endevor...:)
  5. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Right there with you Elite. I actually got my degree because I started the Lawn biz. Well, I took a couple of business classes and liked it so I kept going. I ended up staying in school and earning my BS in business and then went ahead and stuck around for awhile longer and got a BS in Accounting, hell I even graduated #1 from the School of business. Now, I can't complain about the money because I do quite well as an accountant, but you think customers are bad, try dealing with the owners. Business owners think they know everything about their business and of course they will always say "I've been in this business since you were in diapers." Well,yes, this is true but I have done the accounting, and consulted with 50 people this week about the same business. 1/2 of them make so much money it is rediculus and the other half are practicly starving to death and I will tell the ones that are strarving that they need to tripple their web-site advertizing. they say "web-site advert is worthless I don't get any leads from it at all." That's because you aren't spending enough money on your site and no one knows it exist Dumb@#$. Enough ranting.... Time to get back into mowing.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Working for your self is the only way true words, but man there is times i wish not to often but i wish someone had all the headaches,billing,the work, the repair of the mowers insurance paying taxes.
  7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, not everyone with a doctorate has modest compensation of only $54, 000 a year. I just got back from a dentist appointment to have a cap put over a tooth that had a root canal several years back. It cost $1000 for the cap and $300 to replace the stems of the root canal. $1300 for only 1 1/2 hours of work. Do you think that you or any other "small LCO" you know will ever be pulling down that kind of income? I doubt it, but I suspect many if not most dentists do. After I left my dentist's office, I went to three others nearby to check on the cost of a cap, and they were all the same. I presume that most dentists throughout the country enjoy a similar magnitude of compensation.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the money is here if you know how to get it $1300 a day for a solo operater not to often if any,most solo operaters can go $400 a day and up,but the reason i do it is not the money it's loveing my job.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Ain't it great to do what you want? I simply love this business.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

remember that that is ENTRY LEVEL.

also that job will carry benefits and a simple 40hr work week in air conditioned rooms, with no labor.