1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

you could have at least called....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 8, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do u guys call your customers, if u can't cut on thier scheduled day? i had a customer scheduled for wed, i got there friday, and she said, "i at least expected a phone call." i'm like..... WHY???? it's obvious to you, that the lawn wasn't cut. i am certain i didn't cut it. what would my phone call say? "i wasn't there today?" give me a break. do u guys call when u can't make it?
  2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the older and/or lonely people actually seem to schedule their day around having their grass cut.

Just smile and enjoy the fact that someone else on the face of the earth even cares that you exist.
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people are just into hyperventilation, and those are the ones who need more hand-holding than others.

If you've got someone who's really jumpy and you're going to get them two days late, yeah, I'd call. It's two minutes and how long have you spent yakking with her and posting this thread?
  4. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I never call if it is due to rain. I assume that they will figure it out. If it is because I had a scheduling conflict then I will give them a call and tell them what day I will be out.
  5. VolRog

VolRog LawnSite Member

I always think it is a good idea to call if you can't make it to do the cut. A little common courtesy goes a long way toward retaing customers. This person wouldn't tell anyone that you called, but she'll tell ten you didn't. That ten potential customers you may never have. It might be a pain to make that call, but if your customer service perception is poor, you'll have all the time in the world to talk on the phone, you won't be working.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't call. I can spend my day mowing, or on the phone. Not both.
  7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Calling your customers when you're a couple hours or a couple days late is a good idea. From my experience, your honesty with your customers will get you on their good side and it will possibly land you more jobs with your clients friends because they know you are an honest worker.
  8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont call unless im sick and maybe gonna be out for a few days, but if its for rain, well I hope they can figure it out. I cut for alot of retired people and I think they look forward to seeing some one work, maybe when you get that old its not much left in life to look forward too.
  10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them all pre-season or on signing that (Yankees score 2 runs) if it rains or you have other problems you may come a day later than usual so they don't worry. Maybe call if you're two days behind or more, but one no way.