You country boys

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hollywoodjoe, Jan 26, 2007.

1. hollywoodjoe

hollywoodjoe LawnSite Member

Judging by the equipment i see here you back east boys cut some serious rug. out here in the asphalt jungle the typical house is 5000 sq ft property with 1000 sq ft of grass. i get 150 bucks a month to cut that 4 x a month it takes 20 minutes a cut.what do you think?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Typical house around here is 1200 - 1600 sqf and yard is around 2000-5000 sqf and doesn't take very long to cut either.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

typical hers is 1 acre land. So you have almost no less that 1/2 acre lots with woods on atleast one side. usually the back. got one lot in the city I can mow blow and trim in 12 minutes for 40 bucks

4. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

thats doing it right

5. hollywoodjoe

hollywoodjoe LawnSite Member

thats whats it is all about cutting fast for top dollar.i turn down 3 jobs a week because they are cheap and i can read them like a book in the first minute.I only take jobs that pay .it will take more time to fill out the routes but i dont work for free.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Those are some small lots...

I have a few that are smaller (2 or 3), but as a rule my smallest is 10,000+ square feet.
    My largest I cut right now is around 70,000...
    My own is 40,000 :laugh:
    And that's really not that big, I'd like to get into some true acreage.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Hollywood This is off topic do you have any pictures of the 54 dodge?

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Minimum lot size in my town for new construction is 2 acres. But most of the lot is left as woods. So a typical lawn is 15 to 25K sq/ft. I usually charge $45 to $55 to cut. I average 1 per hour working solo.

9. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

we charge no less than $30 a lawn and up to $120 for 1 acre...average lawn is about $45 and takes us about 10 mins ( 2 ) guys....bigger places 1 acre takes little less than an HR ( bagging ) , but we only have one W/b getting another this seaosn, so this will take much less time!!!!

10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

That's doing it the right way but I have to imagine the cost of living in LA is high.