you decide what i need, just bill me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 17, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dig this. today, after i took a beatin on one job, i stop by a client who called us in the fall. we did some powerseeding at her place. she asked if i had a minute to stop by and look at the lawn. well, a couple of spots didnt grow any grass, i told her no problem, we will spot seed next week. well, we got to talkin, and she said, u know what, why dont u just evaluate the property, and do what u think. im like , huh? she says well, replace some of the dead shrubbery, edge the beds, hand pick the 4 or 5 leaves that are in the beds, whatever u think i need, just do it. i said, well, let me quote u prices first, i dont want u to jump out of your shoes when i give u a bill. she looks me square in the eye and says, "believe me young man, you couldnt quote me a figure that would even make me flinch!"just do what u want, when yur done knock, and ill pay you. and ill need u from now till fall, just keep it lookin good. whenever the bill gets to where u need it paid, just ask, then start a new bill. does anyone else have an "open invitation" to just do what u want at a customers house? this is a new one on me, and i been around for about 8 years.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yes I one in particular that gives me the free range. She lives in California and only comes back to Michigan for 2 weeks out of the year. Heck one year she never even came back. She lets me do whatever I want to. I love it because it gives me free range to style her property the proper way without any walls or disagreements slowing me down. Neighbors always laugh and tease me that I am over there all the time but I always laugh back and say, "Yup, and its the best looking property on the block." That kind of shuts them up.

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I have free range on 5 accounts. Comes handy in the off-season. Love the line, "If you see something that needs to be done, do it!!".

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Yup, I have had those kinds of deals in the past. Do what you think needs to be done and bill me for it. Sometimes it works really well, other times not. Really just depends on how well you know the client.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Just make sure you are on the same lines. Sounds like you are.

i have one place like this, but it's his perminate residence. He say's just do what ever you think needs done.
    I do almost everything I can there.

Another place says do what ever you think needs done. "what ever you do to your lawen is fine with me. I just mow and trim there.
    She would have a heart attack after the first bill if I did a full service.

I guess you kind of have to read minds...

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 that are like that. Unfortunately they are offset by the 2 customers who like to micro-manage everything I do.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We probably have 10 or 12 like that. They never ask how much something will cost...just do it. They want their place taken care and looking nice, so if you don't gouge them, you just keep doing the work year after year.

Around where we work, people are much more comfortble with having one outfit take care of all the outside work (mowing, prunning, mulching, weeding, aerating, spriing/fall clean-ups, snow plowing, etc.) than having to deal with 4 or 5 outfits. I've even been asked if we clean pools or wash windows:dizzy:

8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I wish!

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

man, i washed windows when i was a teenager, what a racket, made some nice dough. glad u reminded me, u just gave me a great idea...xyz landscaping, and we do windows too....hmmmm think it will work?

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, I told you in the other thread that it would all work out. I would just test the waters on this the first few months. What I mean is to not go hog wild and bill her regularly to avoid and sticker shock and make sure she really does want you to do the "whole works."

Gravely_Man