1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You didn't clean my gutters!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landmark, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Landmark

Landmark LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I usually don't post much as you can see, however I need some advise or comments if I handled this situaton OK. This new customer call and wants his gutters cleaned, no problem go the same day clean them out by hand, too wet to blow, about a 30 min. job. I just sent him a bill for the service and instead of payment he sends a note saying I did not clean the gutters they were still full. He had to hire someone else who coincidentally came later the same day. He said he got up on the roof and saw they were still full. I am totally blown away by this, because I know for fact I cleaned them out. If I sent a worker maybe I would have some doubts but not in this case. So I called him up and he just kept saying the same thing over and over how they were not cleaned out at all. Finally realizing that I would not get anywhere with this I just said forget the charge its onlt $40.00 not a big hit for me. I still fell like I have been cheated not to mention being accused of being dishonest. What could I have done differently?
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks. Did you leave anything on the door when you were done? I guess it really doesnt matter, if he doesnt believe you and he didnt physically see you there then you cant do anything about it. I would try to find out who was there that afternoon and call them up and talk to them about it. Find out why they lied to the guy.
  3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

If you feel that there is no mix-up with the address, call and make an appointment to visit. When there, go over the job with the gentleman. If all is ok so far, tell him that you did your best, greet him with "Happy Holidays" and ask the ass to never call you again...you have been had. Walk away and call it a lesson learned. And, "Happy Holidays" to you...jim.
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I'd say it's unlikely there was another guy there.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have told the guy to show me the invoice from the other guy or hes getting a lien on the property
  6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

That's why you want permission to come over and see what was done "by the other guy." You should be able to tell if the job is the same as you left it. And his response to you asking to come over will tell you something, also. Wide-open eyes and ears can tell you an awful lot. DO NOT argue with the guy, but let him do a lot of talking. MAYBE he will tell you all the information you will need to know, without realizing it himself. Whatever, do not get into a confrontation with him. If need be, let him feel like he has won. Then just walk away and count your blessing for not having him as a regular customer.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

take a ride over, ask him to come out, pull a piece of the gutter off and smack him him in the head with it, repeatedly, while saying, "does this look clean, does this look clean, does this look clean.....". i don't know why u guys have so many problems with your customers, i have been in business 5 years, and have had zero problems to date
  8. Landmark

Landmark LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

This is what I did. I wrote him a note stating that I did the job, how I did it, and how long it took. Perhaps he had different expectations of what it should look like and how long it should take (he was home at the time, I talked to him before I started) There may have been a needle or two in the gutters, we usually scoop them out by hand or blow if they are dry. Needless to say his were wet and did not look as if they had been cleaned in a while. My lesson learned if he wanted them hosed out or whatever, we should have gone over that before I started. Bottom line is he said they were completely full and that I never touched them. That is BS. My letter was professional and not confrontational but yet stating that I did do the work.
  9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

What you should have done differently is leave the bags of crap you got out of the gutter as proof you were there. That is what i always do, because i actually had this same problem before. But then again, he would have just removed the bags of stuff and said they were never there to begin with. Maybe next time take a digital camera before and after photos.