you didn't finish the cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 4, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so now what? we have a list of cleanups, that were 75-95% done, and it's snowing. more snow forcast for next week. these cleanups averaged at about $300 each. we did get deposits on all of them, but now i'm sure the clients will bicker on making the final payment. in other words: cleanup cost is $300. we recieved $150 in advance. cleanup is really almost done, we needed to go back and pick up some residual stuff off the lawn, etc. the balance due is $150. i just KNOW that some clients will say, "but, you didn't finish, i'm not paying this bill." how does one handle this? let them hold the payment till the snow melts, and u pick up the remaining scraps? demand payment, because the fact is, 95% of the job is done, and AN ACT OF GOD kept you from finishing completetly. you will be happy to do the additional 15 minutes of work when weather permnits, but you want your payment now?

2. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the Contract say?

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get a trac-Vac, They suck up snow too.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

it says, "in the event that we are unable to finish the cleanup, because of an act of god (snow/freezing temps, etc) we reserve the right to pro rate how much of the cleanup was actually completed, based on time spent, and charge accordingly. this determination will be strictly at our discretion."

5. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Then it sounds like they owe you 75 - 95% of the total price, figure out the totals and send out the invoices.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

and fight, and argue, and lose customers over it. funny thing is, i just got off the phone a few minutes ago with a leaf/snow client. "hi mrs jones, listen, you don't need us for this light snow, do you?" her:" no, i can handle it, it's only a little bit. but, what are we going to do about the leaves?" me," leaves? what do you mean? they were done 4 days ago." her, "well, i know, but my neighbor is a pig, and his stuff blew all over my yard." me, "well, i know, we had hurricane like wind for 2 straight days, you can't stop the stuff from blowing around. i wish i could though. we did our part, anything from now till march that gets on the lawn is called spring cleaning." her, "well....ok, i guess, but my husband won't like this....." and here, it begins, the never ending cycle of BULLSHEET!!!!!!!!!!! i know most of you would send a wrieth, and go back and pick up the rest of the leaves at no charge, but, i just CAN'T do that. i won't, won't, won't

7. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Heck thats just a Bobby G special ,

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

gedd--your not starting you clean-ups in time, or not having enough help to finish them, or being too slothfull to get the job done, or not having the wquipment to get the job done aint an ACT OF GOD.

it's an act of BOBBYGEDD! your "I picked up a leaf so you owe me a penny" work ethic is astounding.

GEO :dizzy:

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Geo, Geo, Geo,
    I'm very surprised at you. You, of all people, wasting your time trying to educate someone that won't listen? ;)

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

actually, super duper secret undercover agent, i really don't expect YOU to understand. you see, it becomes more complicated, when you have more than 6 clients :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: