1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"You didn't kill all the weeds in my lawn"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jun 5, 2007.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

"And I'm not gonna pay you until they are all gone"

Got this call today on a one time spray of a 75% weed 25% grass lawn. Talked for 10 minutes and realized there was no way to talk rationally to her.
    I will call tomorrow and tell her I am sorry for not explaining better to her that I my weed control program will not take care of 100% of the weeds, that she can recycle the invoice, I will call it a complementary service and wish her good luck in the future. She was a walk up when I was doing a job and I didn't have her sign a contract (stupidly)

What would you do?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest you go back and kill all her weeds. Sahara should do the job nicely.
  3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Any disclaimer on the invoice? I had a handful of customers over the years to deny payment in lieu of additional service but most have been reasonable. I give no guarantee on 1 app. only. I explain to them that it is a "program" and requires multiple apps. for complete control. I never say "kill" regarding any app. other than a vegetation control with something non-selective such as Glyphosate. I also expalin to them that if it only took 1 app. to control all weeds and make the lawn healthy and green I would bill them the equivalent of the number of apps. required and goof off the rest of the year. Usually they understand it when I explain it that way.
  4. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Only if hitler was applying it, right?
    imazapyr and diuron=sahara
    Good for this job but not for the other guy's bamboo problem?:confused:
    Just curious. Depends on the mix rate though.
  5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I send them a couple of post card with "PASS DUE!" in bold type so the world knows they are dead beats.

After that, I turn them in to a collection company that fires off four collection letters.(www.olddebts.com) About $18.00 per account.

Half the time I get my money. Either way I get satisfaction and move on.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Honda Guy

This post was tongue in Cheek. I wouldn't honestly recommend Sahara for any thing.
  7. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: Pickin up what your layin down.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rice Burner

I have been known to lay it down real heavy, as dumping it. :D
  9. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

garydale (FYI):
    if your post card says PASS DUE, you're doing yourself a disservice, it should say PAST DUE.
  10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like that would only confuse anyone who reads it.