you ever get this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 28, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

had a call for an estimate today:" i need a spring cleanup, weekly mowing, and fall cleanup. everything else, i do myself." ok, fine, i go over there, the place is spotless. i can't find even one leaf, or anything for that matter to clean up. and, there are no trees, anywhere, i can't imagine any type of fall cleanup. i'm confused. this has actually happened a few times before this also. nobody was home. ever had this happen?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Kinda, one lady asked for a spring cleanup, showed up all ready to do it and there was nothing there.
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

No, my calls like that always come from someone whose property looks like total crap. But it sure makes my finished job look awesome!!
  4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

To me, Fall cleanup and leaf removal are 2 different things. Our Fall cleanups consist of cutting back any perennials, grasses, shrubs, etc.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

To be honest, I usually dont have much of anything to speak of for spring clean-up for any client I have done a fall clean-up for. Most are those who call and say they did not get a fall clean-up, and are looking to have it all done in the spring.
  6. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Maybe another lco is sending you out on a wild goose chase. If the call is legit I wouldn't even bother bidding it. These type of people want everything perfect all the time and there is no satisfying them.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

someone is laffing at u bobby did ric get a nj phone book to mess with u
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've had that happen several times. If they are looking for a one-time clean-up, I'll give it to them. But if they are looking for ongoing maintenance, that's a HUGE warning sign, and I RUN.

In the first instance, I just ask them what they'd like to have done for the one-time clean-up. And then I take what they tell me and recommend a few more things. Obviously, they like spending money. Otherwise they wouldn't have called me for something that was really not needed. So if they like to spend money, I'm gonna give them something to spend it on (and make a few bucks for myself in the process!). So if they say, "Well, you know...the usual. Leaves raked up, lawn mowed and a good edge put on it, weeds pulled in the flowerbeds. That kind of stuff." Then I'll say, "Sounds good. Might I also recommend that we apply some good spring fertilizer and an moss killer and limestone application would help your lawn get a good start as well! And how about some light pruning on your shrubs. Most of them look pretty good. But I could do some light pruning just as needed to keep them looking well kept." And then I've talked them into another couple hundred dollars of work. Usually, they say yes and I'm making easy money.

In the second instance, when it's someone who is looking for maintenance, this is a sign to me that they are WAAAAYYY too picky for me. I've had times where they've called me and said, "I just fired my last LCO because he was doing such a poor job and I'd like you to come give me an estimate." Then I get there and it's looks immaculate. To me, that's a HUGE warning sign. If they are that picky, then it's obvious what's in store for me in 6 months. They're going to fire me for no reason too. So then I just quote some outrageously high price and RUNNNN!!!!
  9. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I have had that a couple of times..
  10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Do the bushes need trimmed or the perinials need cut back? I do those things as part of a clean up. Sometimes I will go over the lawn with the tine rake on front of the mower as part of the cleanup if the lawn is matted form the winter. Some guys around here do a full power raking/dethatching and call it a cleanup. Ask what they are expecting then decide if it is what you want to do or not.