you get done to fast.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 44toy, Sep 4, 2003.

1. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I'm tired of being told "it only took you an hour to do my yard, and you charge $60.00?" but the guy before with a murray took 3-4 hours and charged $60.00? I try to explain that a 52" hydro cost about 4 or 5 times as much as a murray and thats why it cuts quicker. It looks alot better but they say i'm making to much per hour? I don't play, when the gate drops the b-s stops till i'm on the road again, so I get done quicker than alot of people who set in the truck and eat lunch while mowing.

Any good ideas , I know this has been done before and i am a scrub. but i do decent work and most dont complain about ime just a few. It really gets under my skin when you cant see for sweat in your eyes, arm is bleeding from briars or limbs, and you can hardly breath from heat, then I tell them I can put back on the trailer, and they can do it.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been known to point at the truck and tell them there sits $40,000 worth of truck, trailer and equipment. I spent the money to handle my business the correct way. I have to work fast and do several lawns to pay for that ability. That generally shuts them up pretty quick.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

^Bingo! Tell them that you normally bid jobs at $60/hr and if they want you to use a Murray push mower it will cost them $240 per week. Now the $60 doesn't sound that bad.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I tell em to shut up and get back in the house before I get really mad.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Homer, where ya been? Guess you came back to tell us how you really feel.:D

6. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

lmao. Ha Ha

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've never had anyone say that, thank goodness. I am not sure how I'd handle that. I guess I'd just tell them that's the price, pay it or go somewhere else.

:D

8. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had people say wow thats a fast mower. The lawn has never looked so good. You must be able to pick up more lawns now that you got that Z.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

1- In reality, why should anyone care how much you are spending on equipment, vehicle, insurance, license, clothing, sun block, food, etc.
    2- From their view (as in example given by 65boss) you're getting it done quicker and it must look about the same as the previous guy.

Why not point out that you're quicker because;
    This is your only business, you've been doing it long enough to be good AND fast, then throw in the equipment investment that you've made which also allows you to be faster.

If the PITA is still standing there looking unconvinced, then tell them you do this all day long, everyday, and if you weren't able to do quality work quickly the bank would repo your equipment and house.

If they're still standing there with slobber drooling down their chin, then go to Homer's quote. :p

10. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Its about the difference between a chevette and a corvet both will get you there. Which one do you want to ride in?

jim