you get the job if it's $5 off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, May 26, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

last year i cut a friends lawn for $30. they tried to talk me down to $25 because that's the price the other lco charged. i said no $30. i explained about insurance, labor, time, energy, work etc. they accepted. this year they call me and said, oh sorry i did not know you were mowing this year so we hired another lco. but if you can mow our lawn for $25 then you have the job. i told them no thanks. has this ever happen to you?.

2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

"For you? $40." with a laugh. Would be my answer. I would never work for a friend for hire. Conflict of interest between business and friendship.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

There are several types of potential customers that I do not work for. One is a friend and the other is a neighbor. Will not get into the others. But if a friend needs a tree planted then I help plant it at no charge. That is what friends are for and that is how you keep friends. Same for neighbors. Just won't take their money.

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

You are better off not doing it, what will happen if you did do it and the following year they say the same thing and their new LCO is doing if for $20 and if you can match that you have the job. Then the following year down another $5. For some reason friends and family will pay a stranger more money for less quality service, than having you do it and have someone that they know and trust. Its really not worth the hassel. Just wait till this new LCO does not work out and when they call you to bail them out say your to busy and that your rates went up to weed out the cheap O's. But if they want they can pay your new rate of $35 to do it. :waving:

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

That's some friend ya got there!

6. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I had a guy the other day who said " If I can get my neighbor to sign up too will you cut mine for $5 since you'll already be here." :waving: Yeah buddy and if you get the guy across the street I'll do yours for free! :gunsfirin

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend for whom I was cutting at 30 per cut, EOW. I show up one time, he comes out with "that look" on his face. I've seen it before. We all have. "It doesn't look real bad yet, so you should wait longer." The lawn becomes an "on call" lawn. Stretches out to very long intervals, leaf mulching was a nightmare.
    Last year, I told him I couldn't cut once a month for 30 because of extra wear on the machine, hidden obstacles, etc. I raised the price to 40, hoping he'd get someone else.
    Well, he just called left a message that he wants cutting, (first time this year).
    I drove by, and though the grass is thin, as it's in the woods, but it's waist high! In his message, he said to raise the mower all the way up. I have a Scag WB, there is no "all the way up." Using the front spacers, there's only a little adjustment.
    I checked last year's calender, I mowed his place 4 times last year.
    I'm thinking about hooking up the sickle bar, and cutting it like hay, but I would ordinarily get more money for any job that requires special equipment.

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple of policies.

One is that if I mow for a personal acquiantance, they pay the same as everyone else. There is no hook-up here.

Another is that I mow weekly for regular customers or not at all. If someone legitimately wants only occasional mowing, it will cost them. If I get there and it looks like a jungle, it will cost them a lot.

Three is that a competitor's price is not my price. Don't like it? Too effing bad. Gave an estimate the other day to a woman for $35. Said she got it for $20 last year. I told her to give them a call! She quickly changed the subject. She then said the neighbors were getting mowed for $99/month. I asked her why she didn't contact them. She quickly changed the subject.

Don't like my rates? Call someone else or shutup and pay. Period.

9. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Man crawdad, that is pretty bad. Waist high already? Damn. I wish I could have seen the look on the guy's face that called me on Tuesday and wanted an estimate about a property to cut weekly that was for sale. I was leary already but said why not, let me go get a look at this. He said it has not been cut all year. I am already preparing for a jungle when I get there and it was not a jungle, it was a friggin nightmare. 1.35 acres and it was head high, head friggin high. It sure had not been cut this year and most of last year. I kid you not. You need a brush hog and a prayer for this sucker. I dont have a brush hog, would have to rent one, extra money there, they charge by the hour, if over 6 you pay for the day. Also the guy wanted it bagged. Like that is gonna happen. It took me 5 seconds of seeing this k-hole that I was not bidding it. But then I thought, let me have some fun with this guy. I call him back and give my estimate of $1000.00. I knew for a fact I would not get the job and actually did not want the job after seeing the disaster in person. I wanted to just mess with him because well, it really drives me nuts when someone just lets a property get so out of control, I just want to slap them. I thought this guy was gonna die right on the phone. I heard a gasp like he saw someone get whacked in front of him. Anywho, this guy says he had a guy give him an estimate of $105.50 the day before. I said sir, either you are full of S---(swear I said that) or the guy who gave that estimate is a complete moron who needs a free mental health exam.

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

A lady called yesterday morning, her mower's broke down, do I do one time mows? I said yes, I do, sometimes. She gave me directions, said I could tell which house was hers by the tall lawn.
    All day, I dreaded it, as it was a bit of a drive, and my closing rate on overgrown lawns is not too high. When I called her before making the 15 mile trip out there, I wanted to ask her what year her mower broke, and tell her it wasn't gonna be a $20 job. I didn't say any of that, just told her I'm on my way.
    So, I show up, and it looks like it hasn't been cut for about a week! Quoted her $40 bucks, she asked if I take a check, I said yes. I cut the lawn, she comes out with cash, and a $5 tip, and thanked me for squeezing her into my schedule.
    Moral of story? Not all people are cheapskates. I hope they take their time fixing her mower. payup