You getting $15 / sq. ft. for pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Apr 30, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I know we've discussed per sq. ft. price on pavers till we're all blue in the face. But I was just placing orders for all my upcoming paver jobs over the next 6 weeks and checking on what I've been charging for our paver work. Just landed a 700 sq. ft. paver job today that ended up equating to $14.62 per sq. ft. But that's a rather large paver job for us. More typical would be 250-400 sq. ft. All my other upcoming paver patios are all around $16-19 per sq. ft.

Not that it influences my pricing at all. (We charge what we charge due to a combination of what I know we can get away with and the amount we need to charge to cover overhead and make a profit.) But I'm curious if there are others who are routinely able to get that much for paver jobs.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Like you there is no set price per square, but that sounds comparable to what is going on. Biggest problem I've been seeing is plumbers, masons, and handyman installations that are horribly wrong going for prices all over the place. One lady paid around 40 per square ft for a $2 paver walk, and it lasted 1 winter. Another customer I met had a quote for $10 ft on a 250' square walk. In the real world we get about mid 14s to mid 18s for on grade patios over 500'. Our walks come in around 17-22 in the 300' range with a quality but economical paver. We can usually get the higher price in over the other guys by filling the client with questions that the other guys can't answer. Education is key, but you cant win them all.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Our jobs never average less than $14.00 / SF.

And we have some that are over $30 / SF. Now when you hear $30 / SF, that's usually for small walks, small jobs, where it costs us more to mobilize and pick up materials (or have them delivered), than it does to actually do the work.

Again, I do not unit price. All pricing based on etimated materials and production hrs.

Our main market is saturated with low ball competition. And I'm not talking about fly-by-nighters. I'm talking about legit contractors that have grown so big that they are trapped into low ball pricing so they can cover their overhead. As a result, we do less and less paver jobs in our main market. Most of our work has migrated closer to the DC area where yes there is still competition, but we're able to pull $15 / SF with no problem. We're doing a job right now outside of Baltimore in quite a community - all 1 to 2.5 million dollar homes! And it's WELL worth the drive.

4. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

DVS

I price much the same as you and I love those walkways where a per sq ft # makes no sense--100ft^2 or less. Sometimes though decisions are difficult because we are limited to stock pavers or stone.

5. RPM90

RPM90 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

i price by the job but average around 20

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. Good. Well, like I said, I don't ever bid "by the sq. ft." but one thing I always do after I've written my proposal is figure out - for my own knowledge - what the price per sq. ft. worked out to.

In my area, seems like $10-12 is the standard price for paver work. I got local competitors who ONLY do pavers and offering lifetime warranties who are bidding jobs out at those prices, $10-12 per sq. ft.

I guess the price of pavers makes a little difference too. Most of the pavers we install cost us $2-$3 per sq. ft. But If we used Belgard those prices [locally] are upwards of $6-$7 per sq. ft. But we don't ever do much Belgard pavers - namely because of that big jump in price between our local paver suppliers and the Belgard product.

Anyway, we're still staying busier than ever with hardscapes even though we're coming in a little higher than most paver contractors in the area. Just wanted to make sure there were others out there who were also charging those kind of rates.

7. CheapScapesNC

CheapScapesNC LawnSite Member

Damn, in North Carolina wholesale for Belgard pavers is mostly in the $3-$5/sq ft range

8. jonesy5149

jonesy5149 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

well im with dvs. I think the lowest i have been is 8.00 for 4000 sft and that did not have gravel cost in it!! i don't do the sf price and have a big problem with contractors----
    handy man contractors----------

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

We have two jobs on the board that are in the 10.50 a square range one is 3000+ and the other is 4000+ square feet.

Mostly we are 14-18 a square though
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The price averages per SF usually start droppin once you hit 1200 sf

Posted via Mobile Device