You got your grass seed in my mulch beds,now what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coffeecraver, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I just finished a landscape project.With several mulch beds
    21 yds of mulch.

Along comes the lawn guy and broadcast seed,lime,fert,and gypsum all
    through the beds.

Im not so worried about the fert,and gypsum,but the grass seed will sprout quickly.

I believe a pre-emergent will do the trick ,but at who's expence?

How do you normally avoid this?

2. theweedman

theweedman LawnSite Member

make sure your spreader has a shield that you can use around beds to help keep unwanted products/seed getting into your beds.

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

weedman, i thought you were from michigan? are there 2 weedmen on this site?

4. theweedman

theweedman LawnSite Member

there must be another one, i don't post alot.. i mostly just read.

5. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It should be the guy that spread the seeds expense, not yours. Weedman is exactly right. When seeding arounds beds either use a drop seeder or a broadcast with the shield. It's not your problem to fix.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't think either of you are responsable. Its hard to put in a lawn and not get seed in the mulch beds especially one that use 21 yds. Apperantly the cutomer hired one to do the beds and another to do the lawn. That would make it the customers problem. Now who should charge to fix it is a different question. I would say whoever wanted to make some extra $$$ or who ever the customer calls. There are certain things that a customer must take responsability for when you hire 2 seperate contractors to work on a new installation, they saved a few dolllars but now they have to spend it. I know that if I do the lawn I don't go back and get grass out of the beds and vice a versa and neither does the competition. We also don't purposly get seed in the beds.

Mac

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I would let the client know of the situation so he / she isn't calling you in a week bitc*ing about "weeds" in the freshly mulched beds. Some of the total installs we do, we seed lastly, but we use hydroseed, so accuracy isn't a problem. Used to use a drop spreader along beds before we started hydroseeding, and broadcast outside the 4-5' edge of the beds. I just think the other guy was a little careless with application, and if he doesn't step up and take care of the client, that's where you come in.. payup

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to say the gut who seeded the lawn.