You Gotta' Love "Rich" Folks

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnspecialties, Sep 23, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I heard another good one today.

One of my customers was speaking with her next door neighbor and was seeing if she'd like me to aerate her yard. Don't you love it when customers go out and try to drum up business for you?:) Mind you, these folks live in a neighborhood in Cary where the homes start at a half-million. For you guys up north, half a million dollars gets you a whole lotta' house down here.

Well, the lady responds,"I don't think so. I think we still have most of the holes from last year." :laugh: Even my customer had to walk away before she fell out from laughter.:)

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

yea, i deal with those people with thier $750K vacation homes in atlantic beach

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Being rich and being stupid have nothing in common.
    The house she lives in has nothing to do with her stupidity.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Huh? My comparison of her wealth and her comment was in reference to her cheapness, not "being stupid". Most people are fairly ignorant on lawn issues but are not necessarily "stupid". That's one reason we are all in business.

But my customer knew as well as I she just didn't want to pay the $125. Quite ironic for a $500,000 house owner.

But I'm sure you knew that.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but it's also the reason rich folks and I usually don't get along, fact being they have a lot of money and are very shrewd about keeping it. I run into this all the time, no big deal anymore.

Otoh how much you people charging for aeration, I'm getting $1.25 / minute which still boils down to $120 / Full acre (43,560 sq.feet)... Guess it answers why I have so many requests for it whew...

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

:)
    Where I live you would be working for peanuts. we get 12-15 dollars for the first 10,000 sqft and 10 for every 1000 over 10,000. on the low end I would charge at least 450 for that yard that you get 120. And I also fill my schedule :)

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

How are you only charging 12-15 bucks for the first 10K square feet? That's nearly a 1/4 acre for $15...

That's 1.50 per 1K feet.

Or are a vast majority of your lawns a good bit over the first 10K, then you make the money after that?

8. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Um,I think he means per thousand SQ.FT.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have townhouses in my community less than 1000 feet away that go for that and more.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You guys in the east part of the state with the soft dirt. As hard as our "dirt" is here the holes do last almost a year:laugh: :laugh:

"For you guys up north, half a million dollars gets you a whole lotta' house down here."
    Just sold a house to a guy from Conn.- His house up there- 1950 sq. feet--$480,000.00 --the house they bought here 3298 feet for 379,000.00 on the Golf course. We are even cheaper than the Raleigh