You Guys (all of you) please read this!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ItalyEd, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ItalyEd

ItalyEd LawnSite Member
    from texas

True story: Dateline Dallas, Texas July 2004

I logged onto this website a few weeks ago to pick your brain about a couple of mowers. I'm a lawyer by trade and out of my league when it comes to ZTR, stamped decks v.s fabricated decks, etc... etc...

I was all set to buy a Gravely 44Z from a dealer in Waco, Texas. The guys made me a super deal to drive 80 miles away. I put down a deposit.

A few days later. BOOM. My prayers were answered. On EBAY is a 2001 Exmark LaserZ with only 285 hours. (See my other thread with pics). I ask you guys for advice. Everyone was much too helpful. The few that said, "this sounds too good to be true", got me worried.

This morning I'm getting ready to deal with my EBAY guy in Canada. He sends me an email. "Your mower is shipped. Contact "www.CASSOS.com" and here's your tracking no. I contact the shipping company and they verify, "we've got your mower." I send them pics and say, "can you confirm it looks like that?" "Yes it does" they respond. Two things bothered me. One, the guy writes, "it looks like new". Second, he says, "do you want me to confirm the hours?" My immediate thoughts were, "the pictures don't look like new!" and how the hell does Pierre from Canada know about the "hour gauge?".

Within minutes I get an email from a member here. He says, "slow down. A few hours ago the Canadian guy said the mower is still for sale!" WHAT !! WHAT!!!

So the member here sends the guy an email and says, "Hey, I offer you $4000.00." Guess what? The Canadian guy says, "The mower is yours, here's the wiring instructions and no.s" This is 4-5 hours after he tells me , "the mower's been shipped."

CAN YOU GUYS BELIEVE THIS @#$@#!!!

The member says, "Dude, you've been living right because you got lucky!" 2 hours and I would have been 4 grand out of pocket!! Son-of-a-B@#$!!!!!!!

So to all you guys, THANKS! To the guys in Waco at Landscape Supply, hold my Gravely, I'm coming to get her on Friday!

To the rest of you, BEWARE! (BTW, one last thing. I often say in things like this transaction, "I'm a lawyer... yada yada yada", thinking this might deter people. Not at all. What is this world coming to when you're no longer afraid of lawyers!!!)

THANKS!

ITALYED

2. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

So for a minute you thought you got screwed.
    Has that feel, you friggin ambulance chaser!
    I personally find this story amusing. Ya big bad laywer you.
    Take m to court HA HA HA HA:p

3. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Nobody's afraid of ripping off a lawyer, they are afraid of getting ripped off by a lawyer. :)

4. ItalyEd

ItalyEd LawnSite Member
    from texas

I'll take all the jokes as they may come MPFLOOD. But for the record, I'm not an ambulance chaser. I sue lawnguys who screw up yards! LOL

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

wow ed! I dunno what to say but you were lucky!

do you think it was a total scam and there never was a mower for sale or what?

GEO :confused:

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Internet transactions always kinda have that margin of error that seems a lot bigger than a face-to-face sale. Ed, your story is a cautionary tale about e-bay and other things like that.

My wife and I get our dog's prescriptions online and that's worked out okay. Ann once bought a coat online and it was a piece of manure.

As far as the deterrent value of your profession goes, you'd be surprised how many people claim to be lawyers when they're no such thing. After my first wife and I parted ways, I chatted up no less than two women within the first two years who made precisely that claim. I later found out neither claim was legit. A lot of people are full of hot air and some might assume you're one of those.

7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Glad it turned out the way it did for you Ed. Wonder if we'll hear about someone else on Lawnsite.com getting ripped off on a Exmark by that Ebay guy... :eek:

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad you found out before it was too late!

BTW. I have never been afraid of a lawyer. For a little money I can get them to do whatever I want....:)

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

<b>What is this world coming to when you're no longer afraid of lawyers!!!)</b>

As someone that spent 20 years as COP (and cutting grass) I never was. Remember as long as lawyers are out there there will always be someone that folks will think even less of than used car salesmen and LCO's.:D

10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

simular thing happened to me, except I didnt let it get that far into it. It seems like this sorta thing happens with a lot of commercial mowers. Maybe they think we are an easy target. They guessed wrong.