You guys are already winterizing???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Sep 21, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Sheesh! We still got another 5 or 6 systems to install this year before I even start to think about winterizations. Different climates, I guess.....

2. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Did my first blowout yesterday. I have a handfull of customers that move to Florida for the winter, so I have to catch them before they leave. We won't get into the full swing of blowouts until the 1st week of October. I'll still have a crew doing installs.

Rob

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We start Monday. Right now it's raining like crazy this morning, and it cooled down. Snow in the high country. Friday/Saturday a second cold front is coming with snow expected in town, and more at my place which is about 7000'. I have never started in September until this year. I used to start around October 15th. But people here are ready and they're expecting an early, cold, snowy fall and winter.

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Winterizing reminders go out tomorrow... we have our first one scheduled for Monday as well.

I have one more install that I have to do but after that I think I'm going to pass on anything unless they can wait until the spring

5. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We are on one big install with another one on the heels. It looks like we should be winterizing the end of October.

Jim and Jon, as I heard this was an El Nino year, does that mean warm and drier for us up here?

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Starting blow-outs next week on the "snowbirds" places, then some of the lake/pump jobs. First week of October we get after it.

Still have several installs - residential to do, and still working on some commercials. We'll install up to hard freeze.

7. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

I'll probably start the second week in October. I will put out about 10,000 pieces of marketing. I just hope my electric hose reel comes in for my new 185 before then so I don't have to use my old sullair. I hope the season draws out like last year so I can do close to 1,000!

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh..who knows? Regardless, I know this. It almost never freezes here in Portland. And when it does, it's not until at least mid November. So we (meaning most contractors in this area) don't start winterizations until the very end of Oct.

That would be nice if we had some warmer, drier weather though. We could actually get some landscape construction jobs done this winter, if so. Last winter we had several jobs just waiting for a dry week. And the dry week didn't come for 3 months.

9. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

10 down, 1515 left. install crew still installing... they'll go as long as there's jobs and we can plow. service is starting to dwindle, in two weeks we'll put a halt to all service, except the high end customers and the emergencies. (and most emergency call get parlayed into a winterization anyway)

pg

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

This week was still solid service for me, but the other main tech shut off 10 or 12 this week and we did our first ones last week. I have a few comming up this next week (first one Mon afternoon), but the second compressor is being re-built by the mech, so we are still sharing one 185. We have three reserved starting in October for through December. Looks like about 600 above ground systems to have off by Oct 15? depending on God. He doesn't seem to share info very well and I think he laughs well at us doing winterizations. Boss wants everyone off in time for us to help hang Christmas Lights, UGH. Oh, We still have around 15 installs to do with two crews installing every day. The phone is ringing off the hook for installs w/ overseeding. It looks like I may be doing new system orientations and winterizations at the same time before install season is over!