1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You guys are right!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Jan 14, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I was here a few months ago keep asking about oil ratio. I think I learn my lesson. I have been buying old trimmer engines on ebay to take apart for learning purpose. I have to say, all the old engines, 3 freezed with deep scoring on cylinder wall, obviously the engines ended their life when owner forget to put oil. 3 of the other have heavy deposits. The Echo SRM260 engine have the top ring stuck tight in the groove. ALL the engines I looked at, the rings were no where close to wearing thin and except for one, bearings are pretty tight, no loose space. This tell me very clear lubrication has not been an issue, it's the other stuff ( like no oil!!!! or may be too much oil!!!! ) that can cause more problem. I am sure, if it is not because of the mensioned problems, those engines still have a long way to go judging by the wear only.

Six engines might not be a good statistic, but six out of six do tell something.

I have to start agreeing that the little less wear that MIGHT be gain by more oil might far more offset by the potential of other problems that can cause by too much deposit. Well.....50:1 it is. Just hope I have not put too much deposit in my Shindaiwa C4 blower after using about 5 tankful of 32:1!!!

Well, if you are willing to take it apart to clean it, then it will be a different story. I don't think 2 cycle engines are too hard to take the cylinder out and clean.

Is it true then, those 4 cycle engines with no oil in the gas should stay cleaner in the long run given everything else are the same( assume well tune carb )?

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Run some Sea Foam in your gas/oil mix. Put a few tank fulls of that thru your blower... that will help clean up any oil & carbon deposits built up. That stuff works wonders!

From now on.. do not use any mix more than 50:1 Extra oil does NOT help...it does more harm than good.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep... use a little Seafoam for cleaning...

That stuff is something...
  4. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Humm... :rolleyes:
  5. yungman

from Calif.

Thanks guys
    I bought a can of Seafoam a week ago already. You think I can just put into the gas only? According to instruction, 2 oz per gallon to clean engine.

Do I need to inject into carburetor directly and soak at this point or just put in gas is good enough?

Should have listen before but, I guess learning from other people's engine is at least better than learning from my own engine!!! It's worth the while to buy those engines. One piston was half covered with black stuff on the side of the piston even below the second ring!!!!! That is serious deposit!!! It is thick too, not just simple discoloration.
  6. yungman

from Calif.

Yessssssssss, I know!!!!!!!!! What can I say!!!!!!!*trucewhiteflag*

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Doesn't hurt to put a little sea foam in the carb...but you could just put it in the gas mix and run it that way.

I also use it when cleaning internal parts when dissassembled...mufflers, pistons, etc
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes... but do expect it to smoke like a freight train... bad... when injecting it yungman.

It will smoke like that for a while... then clear up.

I'm new to Seafoam too, but have used it once to know how it does.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to be sure you are running 59 octane all the time that is important. REgarding taking cyclinder off to clean the ring groves....Echo is easy but Stihl is a living hell to get it back on. Just for fun take one of those Echo units that has seized and hand sand the cyclinder and put a new set of rings in and see if you can get it going. I am 1 out of 2...I buy the seized ones for parts.
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use seafoam every time I mix a new can of 2 cycle gas, I just add 1 oz per gallon. 2 oz is ok especially if you have an engine that needs cleaning. Its a great product...mechanic in a bottle lol