You guys don't bend over for weeds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Critical Care, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm getting the feeling that most of you will not bend over to pluck a weed. I say this because what I keep hearing is that "dollar a minute" goal and how many lawns can be cut per hour. If no one is taking any time to pull weeds than what gives? I'm not saying that you're wrong in your business and I'm right; you're probably making more money than me. Most of you will not even "drop your gate" to mow a lawn for $30. That's what I charge per hour. I'm a bit concerned because it sounds like I should be charging much more for everything I do, but I could price myself right out of the market. Right?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I pull weeds all the time in landscaping beds. If I didn't then I would lose a lot of customers.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

its all about what your market can bare. my town yields anywhere from $50-70/hr and the town south of me yields anywhere from $65-80/hr
  4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

And also how much you need to make to stay in business.

If I were to make 30 per hour then I would be better off working for someone else, unless you don't pay insurance, workers comp, unemployment rent for shop, taxes, permits, ect. then charging $30 per hour is overpriced
  5. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Charging $30 an hour as a sole operator is not that bad. You don't have the insurance requirements, payroll expenses, workers comp. insurance, etc. that non solo operators have that require a more per hour rate to stay above water.

As far as pulling weeds, it just sucks and is extremely tedious and thats why alot of us attempt to stay away from this. However, to avoid losing customers we all suck it up every now and then, we just don't market this aspect of our business.
  6. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I won't hesitate to get down on all fours and pick weeds. Especially when there next to something i won't take the chance of getting round-up on. But it's something i really stay on top of, and don't let it get out of hand.

That way it only takes me a few extra minutes on each property. And as far as what your charging. It'll be whatever your market will bear.
  7. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I hear ya I've been at this about as long as you There is so much comp up hear that you can't run by that won't drop my gate for a certain $.I hate to say it you got to be flexble(close to other customers.PITA or not PITA and so on)What do I know? Anyways Im new at posting here but have been checking in a lot. I't helps me get through the winter. later
  8. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Thats why we have Round Up and pre-emergents. Customers don't want to pay us $30 + per hour to pull weeds when the two drugs mentioned above will do it so much cheaper.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. Pre-em and post-em. Picking weeds is not a money maker. Big waste of time.
  10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Couldnt agree more..........

It all depends on which market a company wants to concentrate in. Most just like Mow Blow and Go, and do not prefer to do landscape maintenance. The ones who strictly talk about how many they can get an hour most likely just do lawns and nothing else.