You guys ever tried tried barter for mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Feb 14, 2008.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw this on craigslist. This guy is willing to do lawnservice for barter items. I thought that was a little odd. Makes me wonder if he is even legit bizz or not. I've never heard of such a thing, but I guess it takes all kinds.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bar/570684778.html

2. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

I don't know about what he's trying but I've never bought a 21" in my life. Ended up with 2 Toro 21's and 2 snapper 21" hi-vac's and even a 25" trimmer reel mower. Traded customers a few lawn mows for each. Still have the first Toro I ever traded mows for and that was in 99. I'm a part timer now, but it just goes to show what happens whenyou take care of something.
    I've had people approach me (chiropractor, painter) about bartering for service.

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I used to mow a little mom and pop restaurant, it was a couple of small strips out front. I would get half price meals instead of pay. I would of only charged them around $25 at that time. I had lots and lots of half priced meals during the year.

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Bartering is what they used to do in the old days.

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I'm aware what it is. I just didn't think it was practiced in lawncare.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I, rather my crews, take care of a bar/restaurant and a national chain steel store.
    At the bar/restaurant I eat and drink free throughout the year. Typically I am in there only on Thursday evenings for the regularly scheduled poker game yet occasionally have lunch there. I usually tip the waitress very well so the owner is happy with this set up.
    At the steel joint I get steel at their cost and usually they will preform some minor fabrication for me as well.
    Also a local physician and I barter a great amount of work. As she is my business' primary care provider, when one of the crews whangs himself at work, we usually trade out for the bill. Thankfully it hasn't happened much but it's nice to know this fallback relationship exists. And it REALLY saves on workman's comp claims problems.

7. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

My accountant and I barter our services to each other every year. She and her staff total up her hourly fees that we owe, and I keep track of her lawn charges all season and projects. Then we give each other a bill, and sometimes I owe her, and sometimes she owes me. It's all legal you just have to bill each other out at your normal fees. I also barter with my landscape supply center (plants, flowers, mulch)

8. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i should try to get my 9 little tiny gas station accounts that are part of a good chain give me a free coffee card....

i could be like Cosmo KRAMER.... you want a Cappuccino... pull over I'll get you a Cappuccino...

lol Free coffee i'd never get anything done... i'd be too busy BSing in line and Peeing in bushes

Nate

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

It's probably going to be coming back into style with the economic situation being what it is !!

10. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc LawnSite Senior Member

Barter all the time, it's how I keep my repairs to my truck down. It's also a good way to develop potential contacts and customers.