You guys gotta read this - freaking scary.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Jun 15, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I just read this in the local paper. -- Local man and woman buy succesfull lawn company. Then hire neigbor to keep the books, they said quote "friendliest new neighbor you had ever met", no background check done. They considered this woman a friend. Well come to find out she has embezzled $99,133 from them in little over a years time. $99,133 WOW. IF they had done a back ground check they would have found out she convicted of stealing $24,000 from lowes. Since she wasnt paying the taxes or workmans comp insurance it will take them 8 years to pay back just the back taxes and interest . They will have to gross a extra $708,000 to net what she took from it.
    Here is address to the whole story

www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/27581.asp

This is a company that I always thought to my self wow I want to be like that. The old owner is a rep for exmark now.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i think i might "miss" $100k of profit in a YEAR! shame on the couple that bought the business for not being more in touch with their own business.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

There would be no where she could hide from me and be safe.......

4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Her attorney says she suffers from anxiety and depression and so its not her fault she a freaking piece of ****. She is getting 5 years, but can stay home till she has the child she is pregnant with. Ah how nice.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Wow...90+K in one season.You gotta wonder how they didn't know the taxes and such weren't being paid at all. Steal from me, and you'll never feel safe wherever you may go. 5 years is too light for a second offense after Lowe's for 24K. Depressed, anxiety?? COPOUTS!!! There are more therapeutic and clinically proven methods and medications to control and eliminate theses problems..She should be sued by the owners and have her wages garnished , and her kid's wages attached for the next 50 years if need be.. She knew what she was doing, and now she should pay fo it in more ways than one..JMHO.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I just hope the couple she hurt can recoup. Even if they are such fools, noone deserves to be taken. If you ask me, the neighbor will pay for it ten-fold because what goes around comes around.