You guys see this?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sheshovel, May 12, 2007.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=187040

A sad, sad irrigation and landscaping job. The thread starter only planted the flowers and did a good job. The rest of it is a perfect example of pure crap irrigation and landscaping. This kind of work makes me sick!

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

You're right, doesn't look like good work.

3. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

jesus, what a horrible lay out i would hate to see the rest of the system

4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

It is pretty easy to be judgmental on something like that, but remember that there are often stories behind some of those disasters. I can't really defend the tilted heads..unless landscapers dug up after they were installed, etc. See my point?

I do some installs for a luxury home builder and in one subdivision, the landscaping rules are very, very strict; all plans have to be reviewed and passed, etc. The plans that they pass are complete and total garbage. Hideous designs only. Whose fault is that?

I did one house down there that the landscaping nazi's came back to and forced the landscaper to change some design stuff after the fact. The landscaper dug up all over the place and my irrigation job looks like crap because of it. Whose fault is that?

Anyhow..the point is that sometimes there are stories that explain how a site got to be how it is. I personally have a couple sites I consider "cursed", irrigation systems that were installed less than 2 years ago have been trashed by bull dozers, etc. I will never be able to look at those sites and feel any pride about the end result...

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

All these failures are mostly blamed on too many fingers in the pie:
    homeowner becomes "expert", no firm plans, no adult supervision, no
    communication between LA or designer & subs (us). Stand your ground!
    With nutcase stuff like SHE posted...you KNOW the client will change plants
    down the road...irrigator's job is to plan for change...spare wire/mainline.
    And, when in doubt, in plantings...5' centers...you'll never go wrong!:waving:

6. sheshovel

Exactly Mike, there is NO excuse for that kind of an installation. This is a new home with new landscaping and that is a brand new system. Poorly planned and poorly installed in my opinion.

7. Mike Leary

Let's not forget LOSS (last onsite sub)..if the irrigator can get in before the
    shag carpet is installed, we've a far better chance of sucess!

8. sheshovel

HUh? Confused......

9. Mike Leary

I doubt if you've ever been confused....LOSS means they ran out of money
    before they considered landscape & irrigation..then they had five bucks for
    us!

10. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

Agreed, but if that was the case would you really want to post a pic of it?