You guys will love this one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Been mowing a 2 acre prop for a couple months now get a call from the owner hey lawn boy you forget the road frontage not attached to my property that has to be line trimmed. Hmmmm I am sure we did not discuss that area but I'll look at it. Any way I go ahead and mow it it took about 25 minutes extra. She calls and says hey lawn boy you forgot the other road frontage. I am like what are you talking about turns out this 1 acre prop has road frontage on 2 sides I tell her that is a substantial amount of additional work and my price will be going up.

Here is what she says:

Well I have a better offer already if they are still willing to do it. If your price goes up I will have to find someone else but in the meantime I want you to mow until I can find your replacement.

How do you guys think I'll be handeling this one ?
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

collect money and then tell her to stick her thumb up her butt
  3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

She wants you to continue to mow until she finds your replacement? I would tell her to get f'd and pay up now *****.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Get paid and get out. Be professional cause who knows the scrubs may have bit off more than they can chew and if she comes crawling back. YOu know with gas prices and all. 25% raise to me.
  5. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Do you use contracts?? Using verbal agreements tends to lead in this direction (cutting other area's). Get paid and drop her.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

take advise from twwlawn... next year or well my new customers this year, im having sign a contract, stating a certain price to be paid everymonth for X amount of months at a certain date and a 2 cleanups a year, and if some want fertilizer down i will do it on a schedule (im working on getting my fertilizer lisence so dont rant about it cause ill have it by the time i do it!) and im also going to put in that dog droppings have to be picked up and TOYS are to be on cement or put away, not on the lawn, and if any of that stuff is lying on the lawn and i cant cut it, that they get charged full price and have to wait until next week.
  7. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Give her the boot!

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

If you didn't initially agree to cut those areas for your price, I would agree with the general consensus here, collect and drop!!
  9. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Premier, I understand about not wanting to run over the dog dropping and grinding up little tommy's toys that he can't put up. I don't know about how you run your business but have you ever thought about just working this in to the price. If you stick to these terms for service you will be no different than any other LCO out there. Therefore you will suffer like all the others when a scrub comes to bid on your property and says they will take care of the "Little Things". I have not lost a customer due to conflict in service in 7 years. You need to remember who is paying you to do what you like. I am not saying putting people on a contract is a bad thing but you might want to be more open about you are willing to do. Usually what I run in to is that people will pay me extra for anything that they want and I offer to pick up the dog poop and the toys, because that is SERVICE. In closing I don't want to sound like I am blasting you but this is a sore subect for a lot of lco's in my area. You do sound as though you have your stuff together when it comes to this business. Just look at it from the customer's point of view sometime's.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Get your money and run.