1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You guys with employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Nov 13, 2003.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

For years Ive' done this pritty well solo. A worker from time to time, but nothing real long. After the last guy (Disfunctional drunk), I figured I would just do it myself with good equipment. This past spring, I was gassing up when this collage age guy asked me if I needed help. First I was like "no thanks" but he continued to tell me that he has worked lawncare and really wanted a job bad. finally I decided to try him out. Well he worked out pritty well and after a while I hired three of his freinds and made him crew leader. Yes it was a good move for me as I realized much higher earnings this year. I still have two guys and next year the other two will be back plus I plan on hiring a few more so I can get two mowing crews going and one lanscape crew. As work slows down this fall, I have been spending more time on computer creating applications, operating procedures, employee reveiw and performance evaluation procedures and such.
    You guys with many employees, are you happy with them? What procedures do you use and do they seem to work. Which ones that you use best influence favorable employee ethics and morale. Also do you have any interesting employee related stories or things they did that you liked or disliked.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My biggest question for the employers out there is how do you keep good help from season to season? How do you find good people willing to work for you for 7 months outta the year, and keep them coming back year after year?