You guys would laugh at my junk...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oldrustycars, Mar 31, 2006.

1. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

im not in the lawn business, i just do some repairs on the side. this allows me to own stuff you would have thrown out years ago. i cut my grass with a cub cadet 124, vintage 1969, back when they were made by international harvester. my trimmer is a $99 straight shaft ryobi, have a trim mower that i garbage picked...some department store brand. also have an mtd 5 horse 2 stage snowblower, its the fifth blower i've owned, never paid a cent for any of them. of course, i have to "field test" repairs every so often, like when i need a pole saw or hedge trimmer. being a mechanic helps my friends, because how many hours at shop time can you put in a $200 chainsaw? and in return, my driveway is always getting leftover gravel.
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Ha! don't laugh at those ol' IH Cub Cadets. Check out what they get for them on ebay sometimes. My dad has one like yours. His is a model 122, 12hp Kohler. There is a club for collectors of those old Cub Cadets also.:waving:
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of those old cubs are in huge demand because they have a rear end (differential) like a car. Mini tractor pulls are getting big here in the south and they are a favorite model to hop up. Do a search and check out the pics of those old cubs.
  4. oldrustycars

the place i bought the cub from only sells cubs. has since 1961 when they came out. i could have bought a new vraftsman mower for what i paid, but then he showed me his stash of 150 parts machines. between that and his new parts, ive never waited once for any part. r.f. houtz in elburn is the dealer.
  5. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

same for me! i have come into probably half a dozen old ariens snowblowers. (1975 and earlier) the best one is a 1968 624 snowthrow. nothing beats those old machines. any other testemonials?
  6. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Hows a dozen 1967 - 1970 bluebird power rakes? Sure we've gone through a few motors, several hundred sets of flails and shafts, and quite a few bearings so far, but some paint every few years and good maintainence keeps them going.
  7. oldrustycars

dweezel, i see we once had the same occupation. gotta love all the bluebird stuff, bought bearings and flails in the fall, and just went through and replaced everything. didnt even look at it, just went all new. i prefered the briggs "rental duty" engines when they had those. the were like a money tree in the spring. it broke my heart when the store i worked at (wheaton rental center) became a honda dealer, and we got rid of all the merry tillers for hondas. they didnt like my use of briggs engines either, but i still used them whenever posible. i still miss the rental business. "what do you mean i cant put a 10,000 pound trencher on my snowmobile trailer and class 1 hitch? i think it will fit"
  8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Laugh? I cant laugh at someone for having nice classic stuff like a Cub Cadet tractor or something that didnt cost anything and held up well. in fact, I say you're doing well if it still works and you've got support for it.
  9. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

That's a shame ditching the Merry Tillers for Hondas, we run a few with GX160s on them, and they have to be the best combo out there. The Briggs aren't bad, I'm really impressed by the newer OHV models, but dollar for dollar you can't compete with the flathead IC motor.

Even better than the trencher in the undersize trailer is the "Why can't I put a sod cutter in my trunk?", gotta love that.