You have to laugh ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I showed up at my first customer of the day just before 7:30 am. It is a rural property and they don't mind an early start. As I am unloading the mower the customer and his 10 yr old son walks out. I can barely hear them talking and I over heard the customer tell his son, as he looks over at me, say ..."son that is why you need to do good in school and go to college"

I am thinking ... I went to college and make twice what you do ... What a JERK !!!
    I wanted to write "*******" in his yard with roundup ... but I didn't ... completed the job and left the bill.

I think next year he will get an increase on his bill ...

:hammerhead:

2. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Some people just don't understand it's always better to work for yourself and not "The Man"....

Brett

3. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Maybe he was saying that to his son so he would look up to you and understand the importance of owning your own business? I am sure that was no the case but you can tell yourself that to keep you from writing in the yard with round up????

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if he is a normal kid he'll be like me and grow up likeing cool machinery...like good cutting lawn mowers, great cutting saws, etc.

heck he might even go all the way and get dozers, loaders, cranes...whatever!

GEO :waving:

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Good point Geo.

Sharp, maybe what has already been said about owning your own business was what he meant.

Rob

6. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

While that is a jerk-like thing for him to say, he may not have realized that you are the owner? Realize that with lawn service operations in general the only one there who's making bank, typically, is the owner(s).

If he thought you were just a hired hand then, well; while his comment was still rude, it's something most of our parents have all said to us in some context or another. "Son, you better do good in school unless you want to dig ditches/flip burgers for a living".

I own a restaurant, but often times work right along side the minimum wage employees. I have no doubt that somebody might see me, a guy, in his mid 20s working a minimum wage job and think, "wow, he must have gotten the short end of the stick". And that really doesn't bother me if they want to make that assumption, because I'm laughing all the way to the bank.:laugh:

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't agree MORE!!!!

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can guarantee you it was negative...like go to college so you don't wind up being a blue-collar worker.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Even funnier first I would have showed him my BA and MBA degrees from the University of North Carolina......and then I would have showed him last years tax return........ he'd then would've told his son, "quick get in the car screw school, we gotta buy a lawnmower!" :laugh:

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

tell him of my degrees, right then and there. but until i get bigger, ill keep my tax returns to myself hahahahah:laugh: