You have to see this!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pflasch, Jul 14, 2012.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

That car would explode around here with all the steep hills. That would be a major safety issue.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I went to their website to service a 4,5001 -5000 SF lawn:

mow $43

bag $6

organic fert $56

aerate $61

I get $40 - 44 to mow 1/3 acre. I must be a lowballer.

There is no way people will pay $43 for a 1/9 th of an acre lawn on Long Island.

Are they charging $90 to do a 1/4 acre?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I imagine they have to pay their employees quite well...I'd need at least 60k a year to even consider working for them.

4. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Not too smart car:

talk about bait and switch; lawncare $9.99 weekly (125 sq ft.) :dizzy:

Must work well in Blue states.

smart-car-wreck.jpg

smart%20car%20crash1.jpg

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Clearly, the aerator is gas powered, but I took
    to mean a back up mower.

You just can not get a full day of work out of batteries. Those solar panels likely cause more drag ( wasted energy) than they produce.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Those crashes you showed almost look fatal :rolleyes: Their ok right? Talk about thinning the herd and it ant Republicans driving those things. On second though we need more smart cars LOL

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sure they are. And those pets that your parents sent to upstate New York to live on a big farm are happy and doing fine too.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I think the concept is great! If his market can sustain his business, then he must be doing something right. Just because his prices may not be in line with other areas of the country doesn't mean that he is overcharging. There are plenty of people today who are willing to pay extra for things because they are "green"/environmentally friendly.

I would assume the "in conjunction with gas powered equipment" would be in reference to his gas powered smart car and the aerator that he uses. There are battery operated trimmers/blowers available, like the ones now available from Stihl. With the solar panels he has, I would assume he can charge a couple batteries at a time and has other batteries ready to go.

Now, I don't know how long the smart car will last seeing as it really isn't designed to tow trailers. Maybe the owner has "beefed up" the car somehow to help it handle the weight of the trailer and equipment. But yet, the weight of the trailer and equipment is probably quite minimal compared to what is usually seen in lawn care (i.e, the 18' trailers with ztr's and walkbehinds on them).

If you live in the right area of the country, I think a business like this can really succeed, especially with the importance placed on going green today. I don't think this business would survive in all areas of the country, but in some. I think its a great idea!

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I think the concept is also a great idea if your market will bear it.

Think of it this way, he is grossing almost triple for his time over the larger companies.

10. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

That's fairly close to our going rate here in Modesto, CA.