1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You have to see this!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pflasch, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

So I wonder what the towing capacity is?
  2. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't say on his trailer that he only mows when the sun is shining.

Don't know too much about the Smart Car except that a Nissan costs less, gets better mpg, seats 4 and has a trunk. My pickup has plow on the front when it snows. Guess he would use a Smart Plow.
  3. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

I love the idea, i love the hourly gross, hope he makes it. I sold the superduty a while back, went with a light weight truck, mower, and trailer and improved my gross. My operating costs are extremely low, and it is working well for me.
  4. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a guy on plowsite a few years ago that tried to put a plow on one, don't think it ever worked out
  5. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

I get alot of calls about this. I have been looking in two it alot
  6. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I could probably use the Smart car for ballast in the winter. lol

I'm not knocking the guy, just wouldn't work for me.
  7. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it worked for him either
  8. Penncare

Penncare LawnSite Member

He is just one bad wreck away from bankruptcy. The smart car is rated for 0 towing capacity; therefore, he cannot properly and safely tow anything with it. If it hit the highway in my area, DOT would end his smart car towing. I also suggest he get a Nissan with more room, an actual tow rating, and better mileage and safety. This is just another case of symbolism over substance and I surmise in some areas there are enough people who buy into this idea to make this work. The battery production and disposal and the electricity created by coal will be far greater an issue than the 3 ounces of gas a push mower would use to cut that 125 sq. feet. This is what makes America the great country it is. I am not being sarcastic, I am being serious.
  9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Too bad more people don't wake up and see this :dizzy:
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

There was a local company doing this in my area a few years ago. They even stole one of my clients away from us. My client wanted to "go green" and so they dumped us for this guy who was using all electric battery-operated everything. After a while, the yard started looking pretty crappy. My old client emailed me for a clean-up to get his yard back in shape. I asked him, "What happened to that 'green' company who you hired a few years ago? They aren't doing your lawn anymore? He sort of sheepishly told me that the company went out of business. Too many problems with their equipment not lasting the entire day, batteries going bad, etc. The theory was good, but in practice, it didn't work out. So they went out of business.

Guess who's taking care of his landscape again now? Hehe.

I think it's an interesting concept and here in Portland there are definitely a lot of environmentally conscious people who would probably even pay a little more for this kind of service. The problem, apparently, is that the technology just isn't there yet. And you're never going to be as efficient with battery-operated equipment and solar panels as our crews are with gas powered equipment.

I think 20 years from now this could be very viable and may even be mainstream. But the technology just isn't really there yet.