You have to see this!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pflasch, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Nimrods who thing electric or battery power is green don't realize that there are gas/oil/coal and nuclear powerplants generating that electric. The so called "greenhouse" emmissions are higher when the hydrocarbon has to be converted to electric. :dizzy:

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Generating electricity from primary fuels results in just 30% of the energy being transformed into electricity at the power plant.

The hope with electric driven cars and such is that the things will be recharged at night while the plants are relatively idle.

Many power plants are also being pushed further way from the populated cities. The main source of air pollution is the moble, cars, planes, small engines and such. If the goal is to reduce city pollution then the plan is fine. If the goal is to reduce the overall carbon footprint, then it is a pipe dream.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

For me, the first goal is to get off of our foreign dependance on oil from Arabs who are making it filthy rich off their monopoly, abusing the heck out of their own populations, restricting freedom, and constantly creating generations of men who are brain washed into becoming terrorists, just itching to kill Americans. If we can also have a little cleaner environment or less pollution, great!

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot wait until there is commercial quality stand on electric(battery) mowers that last all day (and all the other equipment too.)
    I want to breathe cleaner air around me when I'm working. Fumes suck!

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

But you will wait.

I don't know that any of us will live long enough to see that kind of innovation. It's going to take a lot of money and effort. Other energies are still significantly cheaper. I believe you'll only see that effort once the oil is GONE.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

looks like a huge invenstment for 19$ yards

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully not!
    I have a black and decker 36 V string trimmer that while not perfect is a big step in the right direction ( I still use my gas trimmer of course) so maybe in like 5 years there will be progress. And the oil will run out sooner or later! But then there will be no lawns, only survival gardens!

8. Penncare

Penncare LawnSite Member

If I thought that the green business model would work in the lawn industry I would jump on it in a heartbeat, but as many have said in this thread, the technology is just not there yet. Try hauling enough batteries in that tiny trailer to service the big lawns, let alone the price they would charge. Wonder why they don't use the Hustler Zeon that can cut almost an acre on a fresh battery. Don't know what the batteries cost, but you could put that on a small trailer with ten fresh batteries and cut for a good eight hours per day. My guess is that it would not look green enough, no sweating, no walking, etc..