you have too many customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 3, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Get this, one our customers called to say we have too many customers. He is cut every Thursday, 4 other customers on the same street as him.
    Well Mr. Impatient wants his grass cut for Easter, and with the forecast, I guess he thinks the weather might be bad for the later part of the week. So he wanted it cut today. Matt told him, "I was cutting Tuesdays customers today, you aren't till Thursday." He says, "well I guess it must be nice to have too many customers." Matt says, "what do you mean?" He says, "seems if you can't get here today, you have too many customers."
    People are just so unreasonable. Matt should drive all the way out there, to do his lawn, then turn back around again, to get back to today's work. Every day is a planned route in different areas. The longer we are in business, the more people get on our nerves :hammerhead: .... and that's not a good thing.
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have explain to him how scheduling works. Any more of the "I'm the only customer in the world" attitude and it would be a thank you have a nice day and they would be dropped. I can't stand the do it now attiude and it usually means they are a problematic customer with nothing better to do then ruin the lawn guys day.

3. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

I have woman that thinks her yard is should be my first priority and she is my lowest paying customer and does not want any extra services like mulch cleanups... anything!!!!! She is bout to get dropped!!!!!
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I had that happen yesterday. A new client who evidently thought i waited around all week with my equipment just to mow her lawn, wanted me to drop what I was doing to come mow because she had a feeling it was going to rain on Thursday and she couldn't handle not having her lawn done before Easter. I told her I would get to her eventually if she wanted to pony up an extra $20 for gas. She said Thursday would JUST have to do, and that for my sake I had better hope it doesn't rain... haha
  5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Send him a letter saying, you are absolutely right, I have too many customers, I hereby terminate You, so I have more time for my other customers. That'll change his expression, I bet.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I'd explain your routing system to him and try to make him understand.

Another possible solution? Agree to cut it on the off day, but for extra $.

I mean I could understand if an LCO's routes weren't packed tight, mine aren't exactly, I have a little flexibility during the week, and I'd do it IF and ONLY if the person has been a good, paying-on-time, polite customer up to this point. Otherwise, "I'm sorry, but my schedule will not allow me to service your property until Thursday, as stated in the agreement which you signed."
  7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont see what the big deal is. Tack on a few bucks for an "inconvienence" charge and be done with it.
  8. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

I just think Mr. Thursday needs an attitude adjustment! :laugh:
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I couldn't disagree more. Route scheduling should be done to amortize all the overhead necessary to make that day's route profitable. To interrupt for one customer, unless they pay the difference in lost revenue for the sites you can't get too means it just isn't worth it.
    I run three mowing crews Monday through Thursday wherein on Friday one crew morphs into last minute clean up jobs the mowing crews noted during the week.
    To yank one crew out of the schedule to meet the needs of one residential customer really wanks the production schedule out of the window.
    That said I have done this before but the customer paid dearly for it, over five times the previously agreed upon rate = over $400.00 for that one visit.
    My response to these last minute emergencies is the age old adage that your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    I know my company is in the service industry, a fact my employees and I excel at delivering but unrealistic customer requests = problems and if it continues they are looking for a new service provider.
  10. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

It sounds like your customer is also a weatherman. Tell him you will be there on Thursday!