You just can't kill a toyota

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dirty Water, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Water, Fire and wrecking balls, Top Gear tries to get a '80s Toyota Pickup to stop running:

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=15438

Granted I don't think a gasser would run that long, but this video shows the reliability of the '80s Toyota pickups.

300,000 on the clock is just breaking those trucks in.

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It has 2.4 D, it is diesel engine cause in Asia, gas price is ridiculous and most of engine are popular at 2.4-3.0 litre size. Look it has right side steering wheel. You don't use 4.0 or 5.4 kind a engine outside USA, cause you can't afford them. Hilux = Tacoma

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my 83 22r has 300,000 on original engine and trans

4. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Yeah, Ive seen that video before, pretty cool, they seem like tough little buggers. Wonder if an old chevy could take the same abuse, could be possible.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno, those old toyotas were built to last forever, and take a lot of abuse. of course, so were the ranger 2.0/2.3 motors too.

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

About four years ago I started noticing a guy with a Toyota pick-up pulling a 14' trailer LOADED! I mean 2 ZTR's, trimmers, gas, saw, the works. Every year I pass him a few times and always smile and wave. I don't know my Toyotas that well (year wise) to look at them, but I would say it's gotta be about 10 years old. The times that I've seen him, I never see it burning oil or laboring. Pretty impressive.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I saw that on TV when i aired, that was awsome to watch. Anyone know if Discovery pulled that show off the lineup or what happened to it??

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

that toyota pulling a 14 foot trailer has to have the v6 in it. no way a 4 could do that. i also had a old ranger with that 2.3 in it. the truck fell apart around the engine. in fact its still running today. that engine is left over from the pinto!

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Ching Chang Chong......opps wait thought we were in China for a second. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:gunsfirin toyota

lol sorry I had to. Need to get some action goin here!

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Kc, you mean Japan???

I'd like to see a Chevy S-10 and Ford Ranger of the same era take that abuse.