"You killed my tree with your weed whacker"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howard Roark, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

So I get a message on voice mail today (sunday) that reveals a gentleman I did a one time mow for last week, who claims I trimmed around one of his trees, nicked it up, and now he thinks it's going to die. I'll call him tomorrow for details....but...

Anyone here ever KILL a tree with your string trimmer?? Sounds a little far fetched to me. Or have you ever heard a customer tell you this?

I'm thinking a little pruning seal and we're good to go.

Any thoughts?

2. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of this. I was told pine trees are really bad about it.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no. I haven't. because I am very careful not to allow the string to touch the bark.

howard, if you ripped the bark pn that tree with a trimmer, you just bought the tree. pruning seal won't help. sorry.

GEO :(

4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Well it does depend how big or small the tree is. A small tree or sapling about a foot or smaller in diameter will die if you nick it all the way around. I will not trim close to these types of trees...I would rather leave some grass sticking up around them than to nick them so depending on the size of the tree and the severity of the nicks , the man is right, it could kill it.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

The man may have done it and hired you for a 1 time mow to blame you for it.
    I inspect before mowing any prop the the 1 st time, I carry my camera and snap pics of the common damage, PVC down spots are good for damage, vinyl siding, tree bases, cable/sat. wires, sheds, bushes and any other things on the property that may have damage. I have a 3.5 floppy disk camera, after I have all the pics I show the customer and have them sign & date the disk as accepting X number of pics.

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

You may be right there STUMP MAN I didnt think of that. Taking the pics is a good idea but what I do is walk the prop and check air conditioners and down spouts. I cant believe some of the damage done to air conditioners with a weed wacker.

7. stumper1620

thanks, I'll add that to my inspection list, Did'nt think about them.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

take pictures? yee criminy!

just watch what you are doing and you won't have any problems!

if you get falsely accused, as long as you do the right thing, tell'em to pound sand.

GEO :dizzy:

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't have enough time in the days too take photo's

But I don't do 1 time cuts anymore either

Past damage n damage just 1-2 days old is easy enough too see

Far as "ringing" the tree .... if you ring it .... it's dead ..... period ... if ya just nicked it .... it should heal right back up ..... we don't weedeat round ANY tree less than 6" dia trunk

10. stumper1620

I do that at all new customers & especially 1 timers.
    Im not about to be buying someone new siding, I started doing that because when i do stumps, I always get pics of any cracked windows in the area.