You knew it wouldn't work out WHEN...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Aug 4, 2007.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you have, or had, employees, you probably have had that 'moment' when you knew it just wasn't gonna work out :laugh: Either an incident or just something the employee said.

My first ever hire...the guy called in sick on his FIRST DAY. That's when I knew it wouldn't work out.

Second hire...had some problems figuring out the walk behind...but I KNEW it wouldn't work on the first real hot day when he said "Hey can I leave at noon...there's a Code Orange ya know. Gotta take care of my body." This from a kid who played college football and was 13 years my junior.

So let's here some of YOUR 'moments' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

When he destroyed several hundred dollars of property in one morning. Instead of stopping and doing things differently, just keep on destroying.

Tim

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I was on the other end of this, but my termination was the result of scalping a couple spots on a couple ditches... I am used to this in town mowing on 100% flat ground, not none of that outside of town BS with ditches to watch out for:laugh:

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

They did you wrong KS...that's pretty minor, everyday stuff. The guy I have now is great but he still scalps here and there, shears off tree roots, etc.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I guess. Guess there was some money issues, or lack thereof, involved too. Not that big of deal, I didnt need the job bad, was just doing it to help him out and to make a little extra money, and for something to do over the summer.

And really, the scalping should NOT of happend, was a stupid mistake on my part, I have lots of experience mowing and things like that shouldnt happen. Had even done one of the lawns once before.:hammerhead:

6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

The guy told my partner that he "didnt mind if we laid him off because of the drought". This was mid June (temps getting above 90)

A couple of days later it rained and he was moved to my crew. We worked in the rain all day long. A week later, he gave his 2 week notice.

Sometimes hard work and a hot summer will weed the bad ones out for you.

7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

I had a female at the beginning of 2006. Showed up on time (for her at least lol 10 mins late everyday). She was good on a Zero turn but when asked to trim I always got " My feet hurt, I dont know how, blah blah." She was gone a week later.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I realized it wasnt going so well when a new guy was helping on a landscape job and got very nervous when a cop car pulled in to set and clock for speeders. My worker kept hiding his face so the cop woulnt see him. When I asked him, he admitted he had a warrent. Well, since he answered "no" on my application under the part that askes if he ever been in trouble with jonny law, I fugured its time for him to go..
    Another guy purposly smacked my leg with a weed eater, thinking it was funny. After increadable effort on my part to keep from jamming his teeth down his throat, I figured it was time for him to go as well.

9. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy start and on his first day, two yards into the day, said he could'nt trim anymore because his back hurt from running the trimmer.

10. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

When he asked if he could bring his guitar to play and write songs on break!

The last guy when I saw him walking up to the truck. I didn't want the goofball in my truck. Later, Tony