You know I used to be a nice guy !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Until I started mowing now I'm just like the rest of you guys an a hole.

Customer 1: Sorry I wrote you a hot check I'll pay you Friday
    Me: If I don't have payment in cash by Friday I turn you over to the DA

Customer 2: Can you plant this Canna for me while your here
    Me: No ma'am we are running a tight schedule today I'm a week out for minor work like this

Customer 3: I want you to skip me this week
    Me: Fine we will no longer be able to service your property

Customer 4: Can you mow it for $25.00
    Me: You need to keep looking I'm not interested

Customer 5: Oh by the way your supposed to mow that 1/2 acre that isn't even attached to my 2 acres
    Me: It is not included in the price and I will not mow it with my equipment you need a brush hog

Customer 6 Well the last guy did it for $40
    Me: Then I suggest you call the last guy.

Am I gonna get any meaner as I get more time in this business.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Haha, possibly. Dont ever stop being polite and professional, but the repsonses you stated are resonable though. As long as you werent mean about it, they sound like legit reasons to me.

What area of DFW do you service?
    I'm in Richardson.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

absolutely, cue the dennis leary song guys!

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

jwingfield2k

West Fort Worth here you guys even gonna try and mow tomorrow

5. EagleLandscape

Haha. I looked at weather.com and there are scattered tstorms all day and into midnight tomorrow. It's ABSOLUTELY POURING DOWN RAIN right now. I might try and mow if it stops before noon tomorrow. But I'm taking a geology course for my 2 science credits for college at community college from 5:30-940pm. So I would only have about 4 hours to work tomorrow.

So far it's not looking good. I only mow on Wednesday/Thursday and then do odd jobs the rest of the week.

But it looks like I'll be mowing Thurs/Fri and Sat.

I got all day tickets from Toro (the irrigation division) (my dad does irrigation) to the Texas Motor Speedway for Fri/Sat. Bombardier 500 and some truck race. So I know where I'm spending my nights:) (not mowing).

And hopefully I can get a new truck sometime this week if the insurance company decides to start doing their job...

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Your life...your choice.

7. EagleLandscape

what the heck is that supposed to mean?

8. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

High grass,

What exactly does that mean? Are you referring to the thread started by Mike? Or that jwingfield2K has a life?

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i THINK he is saying it's his choice if he wants to remain a nice guy or be like me (a hole) ;)

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

My first season, i was really friendly, and enthused, when dealing with customers. And i still am, but after 6 years, they have broken my spirits. I was naieve and thought that generally, people were fair and honest.......... I used to try and make every single customer happy, and i still try, but its impossible. I'm friendly and easy to talk to when it comes to my customers, i do appreciate that they are using me, but my fuse has become much, much, much, shorter when it comes to someone trying to take advantage of me.

so to answer your question, yes, you will get wosre. But its important to aim it correctly, and realize that most customers are great, and you'll always have a few PITA trouble makers. weed them out when possible.