You know they'll pay but they're 2 months late

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Jul 24, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I've had two clients for the past 2 years who always pay but NEVER on time. Sometimes it can go 2 or 3 months until they pay. I just keep sending a monthly bill and eventually the payment comes in.

Well I'm getting tired of it. Reason: I've more than doubled my clientel for this year which means I have more people I need to send collection letters to when they're late. My letter states that lawn maintenance will be suspened until their balance is paid in full. I feel bad for letting things slide in the past, but no more!

Do you guys ever let things slide and then it bites ya in the @ss down the road?

Last year one of my clients had a bag of yard waste for me every week which I happily took for here b/c she was a good paying customer. Well this year I don't even work on her mowing route and she expects my crew to take up to 3 bags when they stop by to mow. Well I told the crew that next time she asks them to take her bags to tell her that $2/bag charge will be added to her monthly bill.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Doesnt it feel good when you have enough clients to do that (Im still trying to get there). Im the same way though even with what I have. I will not be dictated. I do not mind doing little extra things sometimes, like an older person who just got out of the hospital and you take their trash can to the curb or get thier mail for them and even thats going to be occassionally. I learned if you do ANY little thing for folks that it never ends on what they ask you to keep doing.

3. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

We've recently sent notice that a late fee will be added to the bill if not paid on time. After 60 days, it goes to collections.

4. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Go to their house and rung the door bell and ask for the money.

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't had much of this problem until this year. I currently have 5 customers who normally always pay that are 2 months behind.

I also sent a notice this year that a late fees will be added to the bill if not paid on time. My first time having to add in late fees the customer did pay me but they paid the original amount and not with the included late fee.

Do you just add that late fee as a unpaid balance to the next bill?

I have now added the late fees to these 5 customers and have a feeling i may run into the same problem. I think at least 2 of the customers are away on vacation but how long do they expect me to cut it without seeing any payment???

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not with my attitude toward customers. Pay me now and then cease to breathe as long as I'm payed first. :)

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly Mac and I feel the same way.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We bill forward, 95% of our clientele are on CC.Two or three months late is totally unacceptable.I'm not rude or heavy handed with my clients, they pay freight.But when they get a mind to pull so much damn wool over my eyes, they have to fleece the whole flock to do it, just ain't gonna work in my corner of the landscape biz.

9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Another one of my clients is the regional vice president of a very large company in the area. He's been with me for 3 years and has a tendency to wait 3 months and then pay all 3 bills at once. I've never cracked down on him but I think it's time he gets a letter too.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have a cple. commercial accounts that don't always pay the same month but they always pay. Instead of sending late notices and tacking on late charges I just raised there rates to cover for there tardiness. There none the wiser and I don't worry about the $$$ being late as I'm already being compensated for the trouble.