You know, those "lawns"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastProLawn, Jul 20, 2004.

1. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys have those lawns that you just dread doing.
    I mean the customer may be cool and not a PITA but the property is just a old fashioned royal pain in the azz. I have two like that and I just dread when we have to cut them. Oh well just wondering if it's just me or if you guys run into the same problem.

2. blublazes

blublazes LawnSite Member

I know what you mean, I have one yard that is just a pain and I dread it every week. Lots of trimming and the lot is rough as hell and is just terrible to ride across. However the guy that owns it is a very good friend of mine, and I feel bad not to help him out, so I do it, but i definately dont enjoy it at all!

3. furball3

furball3 LawnSite Member

Just mowed that yard today. Great people, cash is always where I can get it, dog & kid toys are picked up. Only about 3/4's of an acre. And the whole yard is a MAJOR hill....... The kind that if the grass is wet or very dry I skid down the hill towards the street every now and again. Plenty of flower beds to slip past as I skid down the yard too.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I got one house, it just sucks. Started off 2 years ago routine enough, a wide open lawn, with a hill in the back. Since then the guy has added:

1) A fence

2) A deck

3) A stepping stone walkway, they are raised up enough so I can't run the mower over them, lot of trimming...

4) One of those dreaded wooden swingsets. He placed this about 2' from his new stamped concrete patio so there's another long strip of grass to trim.

5) He planted trees all along the fence, about a foot out from the fence. (This was AFTER he called and asked me how much room I needed to get my mower around them)

6) To top it all off, he parks his old car from his college days right on the very edge of the driveway so I have to be careful not to scratch it.

I'm thinking of scratching it so he cancels...

5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I was just curious.... You increased your price on him didn't you? I have a lawn that is 2 acres that started out pretty simple, and still is for the most part, but he's added on some extra lawn to mow ( not much though). There is extra landscape that i have to weedeat around, there is a big pile of dirt that was dumped 2 yrs ago that was never spread out since construction that i have to keep trimmed down, plus other odd and end things. So i clocked myself a few weeks ago and figured out how long it took me. then i informed him that i have to increase price due to the above mentioned. He didn't like it too much, but i've kept him happy over the years, and he seems to understand that there is extra work so now i get what the yard is worth.

6. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

The yard I hate doing the most is my next door neighbors. The yard is not in good shape, it has a ton of ruts in it. It also has a freakin sump pump tube that runs right down the center of the back yard. Not to mention the tow dogs next door that do nothing but bark. I have taken the trimmer string to their noses along the fence and it does not even faze them. There are also a ton of hanging branches that I have to mow under. The people insist on me to leave them and not cut them down.:rolleyes: It just seems to take forever to finish and I really hate it.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I was gonna jack up the price, but the guy called me up out of the blue in January and wanted to pay for the whole year up front. Kinda caught me off guard at a time when the ol' cash flow is pretty low.

I'll be ready for him next season, though...

8. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Just raise his price, you'll probably keep him as a customer AND make more money doing it. win-win.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Any new addition or change has to be evaluated and than decide if a price change is needed. If a customer with a 4000 foot yard put mulch on 1/2 of it you know they would want to pay less for the cut.
    If you work at a 10% profit margin and you are doing a yard that takes 30 min.-- the homeowner adds a swingset that takes an additional 4 min to trim and mow around--and you do not add for it-- you are now losing money by doing that job. If they say no and go with someone else than so be it as you are not doing this to loss money.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

My in law's yard, If you could call it that. The other day I hit a torque converter that was partially buried in their backyard, and bent one of my blades. When I cut it, I can hear "Dueling Banjoes" over the sound of my mower.. :D :D :D